Progress Thread Tannerc91gt’s Build(s) Thread

I've reached the point where everything on my To-Do list is held up by something else on the list. Which has brought operations to a halt. Also it's cold...something people like @hoopty5.0 wouldnt know about

Need to remove the hotside and pull the motor out. Need to pull the oil pan to weld on the drain bung and switch out the pan studs.
Need to get the transmission in the car either the hard way or the harder way. Don't have money for the converter right now so it'll have to be removed again at some point which is a good time with the car on jack stands. Oh yeah, it needs put back on jack stands!
Rear end needs to be pulled apart and done correctly.
IMG_6411.JPG

This massive harness showed up today as well. Really impressed with the quality and the nice big MADE IN AMERICA stamped on the box. But that can wait in the box a while.
IMG_6413.JPG

Then there's all this :fuss:

Reactions: 7 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Got the transmission installed sans converter tonight. It was quite a feat by myself on the floor. Some of you would have enjoyed seeing me holding the transmission up with my chest and working the floor jack with my foot
IMG_6423.JPG

I put the China fan on for the moment, might as well give it a fair shake since it's paid for. I have low expectations.
IMG_6439.JPG
IMG_6443.JPG

Started to work on the coldside and thought better of using the chop saw after midnight. Tomorrow I'll dig into that.
IMG_6450.JPG

Wheelie

Reactions: 3 users
Hey, are those the turbo thingies I keep hearing about?

upload_2016-12-3_10-27-46.png
They're a mandatory part of turbo cars. I've got 6 on standby at all times

Did you already chop and swap the bellhousing?
No sir, it's hanging on the wall. It needs to be sent to JW to get recertified really. But mostly it just isn't a priority at the moment. Transmission will be back out again at some point.

Reactions: 1 user
So today I went to the parts store in search of some radiator hoses. This turned out to be a failure but it was worth it to see the look on the parts guys face when he assured me he could help me find the hoses I was after.

Me: I just wanna go dig around in the radiator hoses in the back
PG: I can help you man, what are you working on?
Me: it's a 91 mustang with and 06 Silverado engine and a 66 mustang radiator.
PG::O_o:.....they're back there.

I bought an 04ish Monte Carlo upper and a 93ish Dodge truck lower. I failed on both hoses but i figured out what I'm after now.

Got one part of the coldside done. Wasted time fitting it up as a solid piece to realize that it couldn't fit back into place that way so I'm going to end up with a few more couplers than I had hoped to. Welder started acting strange so I gave it and myself a break for the night.
IMG_6481.JPG

Reactions: 5 users
IMG_6553.JPG

Thankfully cutting the headers down made the room I needed for these big ass gates. My BOVs came in as well but I'll have to have the coldside finished before I mount those.

Speaking of the coldside, I scrapped what I had and started on "2.0". Waiting on a few couplers and hopefully this new layout will..actually fit.

Reactions: 2 users
Dumb question, but why 2 BOVs?
It's supposedly more efficient and quicker to relieve pressure at higher boost levels (more than likely not a big deal on a setup like mine). Im using twin 50mm BOVs and twin 44mm gates.
It's nice to have a "backup" should one fail, help prevent compressor surge which is hard on turbos and crappy stock throttlebodies. Again not catastrophic by any means but nice to have.

And above all, I like the symmetry. I think it looks better. :shrug:
I've been treating the whole setup as two 4 cylinder engines.

Reactions: 2 users
It's looking to me like you better go ahead an cut that lower rad saddle out and replace it w/ a tubular now while you're at it. If I'm seeing it correctly, you're gonna have to accommodate another big-assed diameter inlet pipe feeding the bottom of the I/C....where are those pipes coming in from?.....between the edge of the radiator and the existing opening?

That is of course unless you just like doing stuff over multiple times..........Then I understand completely.

Reactions: 1 user
It's looking to me like you better go ahead an cut that lower rad saddle out and replace it w/ a tubular now while you're at it. If I'm seeing it correctly, you're gonna have to accommodate another big-assed diameter inlet pipe feeding the bottom of the I/C....where are those pipes coming in from?.....between the edge of the radiator and the existing opening?

That is of course unless you just like doing stuff over multiple times..........Then I understand completely.
IMG_6504.JPG

This was the old 2.5" inlet from the drivers side turbo and the 3" outlet on the bottom to the intake. I didn't like this configuration so I'm redoing it.
IMG_6513.JPG

New 3" outlet. Will do a tighter 90 off the turbo and not have to cross the tubing.
The tubular lower would maybe help me make a tighter turn but it's actually a little shorter than the factory core support which sucks

Reactions: 1 users
IMG_6593.JPG

Crappy representation but the new coupler is going to cure my hotside issues completely. Just have to trim it down and weld it up.
Got some helpful tips about setting up this welder for 16ga aluminum so hopefully it'll be a little easier.
It's about 20 degrees out and I'm out of kerosene for the heater so it's a no go tonight.
I'm off for a week starting tomorrow so I hope to make some real progress.

Going up to Indy for PRI Saturday and will be picking up my new seats. Brackets got dropped off today as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Spent the better part of the day out in the shop. Spent the first half of that making absolute :poo: welds and considering setting the whole project ablaze to warm the garage.
I dug around in my old college TIG supply box and found a legit gas lense setup which luckily fit my torch. Tinkered with the settings a bit, switched to the foot pedal and FINALLY got it going how I liked.
99.9% done with the turbo kit. Could have been done nicer by a shop I'm sure but I'm happy I did it myself.
Excuse the mess on the garage floor, it's one of those "had to get worse before it could get better" kind of things and that was the gather up all the :poo: part of the cleanup.
IMG_6674.JPG
IMG_6663.JPG
IMG_6656.JPG

Reactions: 7 users