Build Thread The Hoopty Chronicles - New House, New garage, New Car?

Whichever of the two first options you choose is gonna result in some f'd up S550 parts. A bare 351 is gonna weigh what?...150? What kind of he man is gonna be able to set that thing directly in the front seat floor from a dead lift?

Whichever of the two first options you choose is gonna result in some f'd up S550 parts. A bare 351 is gonna weigh what?...150? What kind of he man is gonna be able to set that thing directly in the front seat floor from a dead lift?
Me, apparently.

It's sitting squarely on the floorboard, wrapped in canvas, with a layer of cardboard between it and the seats. Even had room to spare.

And I think the block is around 100 lbs.

Reactions: 1 users
Or roughly 1/6th the weight of the damn E7 heads I had to pull off the car last night.
You cannot cry about having to lift cast iron out if an engine bay until you have personally done one of the following:

Unbolted, (break loose 9/16 head bolts torqued to 140 ft lbs) and then Lift a 460 head out of a old Lincoln reaching across the miles of engine compartment that is a 1973 MK IV.

Install a cast iron 428CJ intake, carefully hovering it over the heads so as to line up the ports properly.

Once you have done these things, the 58 pounds that a E7 head weighs will seem lighter.

Reactions: 1 user
who'd have thought that working on a car was aerobic activity?

dude....the one we just bought may have me built like Sgt. Rock by the time it's done.
It's entirely possible. I just wish I still had the energy of my 23 year old self and could work in the garage without eating or drinking for 15 straight hours and not having a wife to bitch about car parts.

Reactions: 2 users
Wait, a wife that b!tches about car parts????

Actually, mine quit doing that... Now when i buy parts, she buys a new gooney bird purse.

Reactions: 1 users
The block is home and on the stand now. I spent the evening pulling the rigs off the pistons and cleaning them up.

I bought standard sized bearings and wanted to see how they measured up. Came out around .0025 We will see where that falls after I get the crank polished up some and see what size I need to exchange them for. Motor had 250,000 miles on it.

The block is home and on the stand now. I spent the evening pulling the rigs off the pistons and cleaning them up.

You probably already know this, but I'll give a quick warning/heads up of something I learned the hard way:

Do NOT let pistons soak in degreaser too long. I once had a set I was cleaning up, and this was over a labor day weekend. Went to a BBQ and left a couple soaking in a bucket, with every intention of finishing up when I got back. Ended up not getting to it till the next morning, and that degreaser had eaten the pistons, and siezed the rings/pins onto the pistons.

No sh*t? Wow. Fortunately, I didn't do that even though I thought about it. WHEW!

Degreaser?? Like castrol superclean, or varsol? What kind of degreaser did that?

LOL of course that's what I used. I did dip it in a bucket of water and then blew it dry with compressed air, so should be good to go.

Well, it's fine to clean with. That's what it's for. It is a mild diluted caustic solution... But if you let it soak, it'll start eating it eventually.

Edit: when you use superclean, rinse it off with water.. Water is the only thing that cuts caustic. Then if the part is iron, oil it to prevent rust.

Reactions: 1 user