What Can A Stock T5 Trans Handle?

Colton Howell

Jul 29, 2017
Hey guys I have a 1987 fox with cold air intake and flow master exhaust system(putting 3:73 gears in soon) I want to build this car and make around 320 - 350 hp to the wheels. Could the stock trans handle these numbers? The car has 83,000 original miles and the engine and trans are strong. Thanks for the help in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

There are too many variables to say accurately.
How hard you drive it, type of clutch, do you power shift, drag radials all make a difference in how long it will last.
It will hold 300rwhp+ if you don't beat on it and you don't use drag radials.

It's a relatively weak transmission.
Without about 340rwhp, mine survived like a week of my driving with drag radials.

I still have the original 70k mile T5 behind my 393W. Mine is a 93 W/C T5 so I believe it's rated slightly higher (probably b**s*** though.).
I don't launch it or race it at the strip although I do have fun with it.
If you don't drive like an animal and the tranny is in good shape I don't think you'll have a problem at those power levels.

I Mine is a 93 W/C T5 so I believe it's rated slightly higher (probably b**s*** though.).

Pretty much every T-5 after 1985 is WC. All it refers to is the bearing and syncho style. Really has no impact on strength.

Up to 1989 they were rated at 275 ft-lbs. In 1990 a slight gearing and alloy change bumped it to 300 ft-lbs. The Z-spec, with revised gearing, and a different input shaft bearing setup is rated at 330 ft-lbs.

Basically, don't shock the gearing in the T-5 too hard or it will shear. 3rd is especially the weakest as under intense load, the gears push apart to where the teeth are thinner and shear. Most often, the input shaft will break on a launch with DR's or slicks, or you shear third on a WOT blast banging gears.

Brothers 1986 GT has a stock T5 and has been mid 11s for a few years. Tore up 3rd and 4th one season but before and after it held up well. 5000-6000 launches, 1.5 60s and power shifting as well... mine has held up to mid 12 second passes, 1.6-1.7 60s off the rev limiter, and power shifting...

Is a roll of the dice on them.

Brothers 1986 GT has a stock T5 and has been mid 11s for a few years. Tore up 3rd and 4th one season but before and after it held up well. 5000-6000 launches, 1.5 60s and power shifting as well... mine has held up to mid 12 second passes, 1.6-1.7 60s off the rev limiter, and power shifting...

Is a roll of the dice on them.

Just don't play with the dice if it's your daily driver. If you roll snake eyes, you'll end up walking instead of driving...

Not a daily driver, and usually trailered when we raced!

The day the 11 second car lost 3rd and 4th they still drove it home with 1, 2 and 5th 100 miles from the track. That day he trailered his car and I drove mine. I popped an axle on my 3rd launch and needed the trailer. So he lost out and had to drive his home with a wrecked transmission.