Progress Thread 2003 Ford Mustang GT Build Log

03GThoopty

Jun 14, 2019
Texas
update:
car is back together - inspection tomorrow morning
- no check engine lights
- ** white smoke from exhaust OR bad heads/cracked cylinder? tune in to find out lol..

No sound clip since exhaust really isn't exciting

also found out the car has a pro50 tremec shifter

Attachments

Reactions: 2Blue2
  • Sponsors (?)

03GThoopty

Jun 14, 2019
Texas
*finished the headliner
*refit the center arm rest piece - painted flat black
*new shifter/ebrake boot - red stitching + leather ( the tremic shifter was installed backwards also - i fixed that )
*removed a gps car tracker + wiring that was installed previous at some point
*cleaned even more ( never ending )

*started the radio wiring harness repair - basically i re did the crimping and I am now trying to figure out if the chassis ground is crimped to the other black cables or grounded to metal. also a mystery blue wire - not sure if its needed ( I circled those in the pictures below )

also started on fixing the AC - so far it makes noise when turning on or switching between fan speeds but no air comes out - I am going to check the fuses for the AC system first before diving into it anymore.

I started looking at fuses and one is missing.. looking at a diagram of a v6 mustang I believe its the same for a GT - It shows as "audio" looked a little further and its a 10 amp fuse for the radio.. going to see if I can get one for that. I think that + fixing the wiring should make the radio play music. Hopefully all speakers work, also noticed there are 2 amps in the trunk for the mach system hidden above; they both have 1 connection coming off them -I am assuming they will still work for the interior speakers but to get the most out of them, I should get sub-woofers?

anyways I got some testing to do. OH also my new insurance company wants some papers filed/sent back before I can get this car on the road... bummer.I did take it out and forgot it had no power steering fluid since it sat for a while with the connections off. I bleed the old fluid and replaced it with some new and its back to normal. I will do a complete flush of all fluids down the line though.

pictures -

Attachments

03GThoopty

Jun 14, 2019
Texas
Thought I'd pop in real quick -
fuses I ordered did not fit. too thin and wouldn't hold tight in the fuse box...but I got the radio to work even without replacing the missing fuse in the fuse box. I am guessing this is because the radio has its own fuse and that is kind of a bypass to it. The ground cables all get put together in case anyone wants to know.

HOWEVER the 2 bottom door speakers aren't working - well they work but I don't know if the radio harness is right that they don't play sound or if they are just super quiet... That ALSO brings up the 2 amps in the trunk. They do not work at all - this could be because the radio harness isn't right and isn't turning them on. I'm not too sure here. I did test them by swapping them around/unplugging them plugging them in and it doesn't change the sound to any speakers that I can tell.

:edit I have been checking with a audio forum to pretty much get a little guidance so that to make sure I atleast don't burn down the car.

* I may just replace the radio since its old anyways and with that a new harness and dash kit and let a pro install it and diagnose the "issues"

As for the AC system - I didn't do much but research. I still need some fuses to get started here. - I did find a mystery wire - not sure if it is related to the AC system. Maybe someone can help me out here? check picture below.

ordered new stuff - fuses (have to return) I will probably just go with local parts store for fuses even though they are more expensive now.
- Billet PEDALS
- interior door handles
- weather mats (even one for the trunk)
- dash LED lights - I am going to replace all the dash lights/HVAC lights and I already replaced every other lights (trunk/license plate light with some LED"s) // I do have extras in case I get a junkyard dome light which I probably will.

Attachments

Reactions: MattMan02GT

03GThoopty

Jun 14, 2019
Texas
update:
new stuff
- billet pedals
- diy custom rubber mats/ trunk mat (cutting to fit)
- interior door handles ( painting them did not come out how I wanted so I just replaced them )

visited the junkyard again and got a bunch of missing parts ex.-hood bushings/clips/fuses/interior trim etc. car is complete now however I would like to replace ac vents/radio later.

AC vacuum lines have been routed back to where the are suppose to go (hopefully) -> I got this info from mustang manual and looking at people remove their dashes I got glimpses of their vacuum hoses to confirm I have my lines ran right.

I checked the ac compressor/clutch and it does spin - however it will stop and start repeatedly. It has a click when it stops which I guess is normal sound - low pressure/low refrigerant?
* no air is coming out of any vents - blower fan broken possibly? which is why no air is coming out of vents?

blower motor fan doesn't spin/make any noise - removed it to check it out; re plugged in still nothing

EDIT: radio subs WORKS, all speakers WORK! - double checked fuses - incorrect fuses swapped out ( gt fuse diagram IS different from v6 slightly ) but also not only check if fuses work but check if they are correct amps.. anyways that one thing fixed. HOWEVER radio doesn't save settings - might be because of harness wiring or because I keep disconnecting battery.

*2 fuses ( check pic ) I think are suppose to be 30 amp fuses for the AMPS however the fuses when I put in do not hold and the subs work even without those fuses because of the fuses under the dash I believe. and 1 fuse under the dash for the "positive crankcase ventilation heater" I currently have 5a for it instead of the 2a which I will replace asap.

Attachments

Last edited:

03GThoopty

Jun 14, 2019
Texas
blower motor failed test - ordered a new replacement

blower motor resistor STILL works - ORDERED a new one anyways (too rusty and may as well upgrade with a new blower.

LED lights installed on dash/AC controls - went with white LED to make the stock green brighter. will post pictures next week.

I will be removing headliner to inspect and install a dome light.

Radio bezel ordered and will be installed sometime this weekend to make the radio hold until a new radio gets chosen.