Progress Thread 74 Mustang II - Build as semi-daily driver

• Sponsors (?)

Bought a manual pipe bender, which looks quit okay for the price I paid:
IMG_20210114_171103.jpg

Did the job of bending my shifter stick:
IMG_20210115_172408.jpg

IMG_20210115_173412.jpg

And here is my shifter with console installed. Could be stock... quit happy with the result of using a 66 mustang shifter boot and welding a extension to the stock T5 shifter to compensate the different transmission position.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
The black ball is a standard part DIN 319 (here in Germany), very cheap. Can't understand why paying the price of a aftermarket shifter ball, if you can get it in an tractor supply for 3€.
Pipe bender and SS pipe was cheaper than a shiny hurst shifter stick. Beside it wouldn't fit my extension.
Used the same method for my 66 coupe, but at the bottom I made the pipe flat and drilled it for the stock T5 shifter.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'm not sure the Cobra has changed much since it's inception. If it has it's been subtle.

Here's a caption taken from this site: https://www.agoramodels.com/us/story-of-the-shelby-cobra-emblem/

"Meanwhile, Fred Goodell, chief engineer at Shelby American, had recruited a talented North Korean designer John Chun to help come up with a concept as a follow-up to Shelby’s GT350. Chun considered that the original Cobra emblem lacked menace, so, after delving through encyclopedias and much redrawing, he eventually came up with the coiled, fangs-bared symbol that is so recognizable today."

If there have been changes I'd love to be educated about them for future knowledge. :)

Was thinking this one myself but the stock is not so bad.
Just not sure how to refinish. And about that my little pony emblem...

s-l1600-10.jpg
OIP.d6nIWjzYpggOMEAOP1X7EQHaFP.jpeg

If there have been changes I'd love to be educated about them
Not really changes as much as variations on a theme. Of course there are differences in how the scales are laid out.

Goofy '78 wheel center snake was the main change before going back to the one we know I think.
s-l400-3.jpg
s-l300-3.jpg
s-l1000.jpg

s-l640-2.jpg
dash_cobra_jetl.jpg

OIP.X6gXXuQcfcQB9RBXZyCV8AHaFZ-2.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
I did the alignment of the front suspension backyard-style:
IMG_20210118_113312.jpg

Right side was (that was a good guess, when putting together):
-1° chamber and +2,5° caster
Left side was:
0° chamber and +3,5° caster

I adjusted the left side to (at the first go):
-1° chamber and +3,0° caster

I need to set toe-in, but therefore I need a helping hand. I do it with a measuring tape. With the semi-sicks it is easy, because they have one deep groove in the middle, where you can put the measuring tape easily.

I did the alignment of the front suspension backyard-style:
IMG_20210118_113312.jpg

Right side was (that was a good guess, when putting together):
-1° chamber and +2,5° caster
Left side was:
0° chamber and +3,5° caster

I adjusted the left side to (at the first go):
-1° chamber and +3,0° caster

I need to set toe-in, but therefore I need a helping hand. I do it with a measuring tape. With the semi-sicks it is easy, because they have one deep groove in the middle, where you can put the measuring tape easily.
Just a heads up, with a rack-and-pinion front end, getting your camber and toe set will usually put your caster within spec.

• Informative

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15h0UmgJHO4

This shop teacher gives excellent lessons on everything automotive, here's his ASE test prep on suspension angles. It'll help you understand your alignment better.

(It's good enough that even after turning wrenches for a living for 13 years that I both learned from it and used it as my study guide prior to taking my Steering and Suspension ASE test, which I passed with flying colors thanks to this video).

• Informative
Steering wheel is nice. The horn button mechanism looks a bit wobbly, but I think it will be alright, when installed. Now I want to install the steering wheel, to see how it looks, even when I need to change it back again. Also I want to know if everything fits.
Fender badges are also nice. In between I thought I should have ordered more original snakes like you can buy for the fox mustangs, but it is obvious (to mustang guys) that the car is not a original cobra and I like the style of the emblems with the black background (wheel be awesome, when the scoop is also black).