Progress Thread 89 hatch hydroplanedrifterweldeddiff thread:

Better. Im just going to have to wet sand and buff it or whatever. I was hoping i could get away without it, but it sprayed so bad. I might of sprayed it "too dry" where as i should of turned up flow. Learning this just now after reading something else. It might of helped. I dont know.

• Sponsors (?)

IMG_20210224_112205.jpg
IMG_20210224_112214.jpg
IMG_20210224_112225.jpg
IMG_20210224_112239.jpg
IMG_20210224_112409.jpg

still need to put that door trim on and rear window trim. painting wheels white, front ford emblem and a top secret part thats well out of my comfort zone. We'll see about it. lol. i dont know, might just go saleen if its too stupid to me.

Ok, it looks 100x better in pictures than up close. Its a 10ft paint job. As much as id love to make it super nice, it is a drift car im liable to crash (again lol, that wasnt a drift accident though) and i was trying to make it better than it was, but the gun just sprayed terrible. My prep work was 320 on a orbital, wash off, then 400 on the orbital. And i did improve quite a few spots on the body.

Reactions: 2 users
Then i went full retard, and didnt cover wheels/tires good enough. 2 minutes of work i gotta look at red tire for couple months till i cycle through those tires.

White wheels or not? mmm iono w/ the carbon wrap hood. and carbon wrap diffuser im going to make once get tailpipes on.

Yep, looks good for a 10 footer. If you wanted to go so far, that orange peel would go away with a bit of elbow grease if you wet sanded it. It would take a while doing a whole car though. I did a motorcycle fender using nothing but spray bomb and it come out looking like that to start. But being a motorcycle fender I took the time to wet sand before I sprayed it with clear. It come out looking amazing! It was time consuming - I can't imagine doing a whole car like that. But much better than the wreck images! And they always seem to look a lot better once they're back to one color. :shrug:

Word of advice - don't wreck it again! :rlaugh:

Reactions: 1 users
Driveway paint Job, just getting through it is pretty good.
Probably not all the guns fault, maybe wrong temp reducer too, not giving enough flow time.

Orange peel is better looking than 30miles of bad road anyway.
Carry on!

Reactions: 1 user
Yep, looks good for a 10 footer. If you wanted to go so far, that orange peel would go away with a bit of elbow grease if you wet sanded it. It would take a while doing a whole car though. I did a motorcycle fender using nothing but spray bomb and it come out looking like that to start. But being a motorcycle fender I took the time to wet sand before I sprayed it with clear. It come out looking amazing! It was time consuming - I can't imagine doing a whole car like that. But much better than the wreck images! And they always seem to look a lot better once they're back to one color. :shrug:

Word of advice - don't wreck it again! :rlaugh:

Damn, making that sound good. I'll probably do that then 2k clear it. Maybe use 1500 wet on a orbital or somn. Iono, I got to research it more. ya, it would be a 10hr job i bet.

Ya def not all the guns fault. i spent like 20 seconds checking it on wood i should of adjusted flow more.

I'm by no means a body and paint expert - I'll leave that to @Davedacarpainter - but I'd imagine IF you wanted to spend the time wet sanding the paint, then IF you wanted to clear it, you'd probably want to complete the job by buffing. All I can speak from is experience with a motorcycle fender. :shrug:

You shot the paint with too low air pressure. That’s not the type of orange peel you get from it being too dry of a spray.

If you want some detailed advice, pm me and I can call you and we’ll talk over your options to smooth it out.

Positive side, it looks even. Good gun control :nice: .

Mmm. Makes sense. It was an electric gun. lol. Preciate it. I liked the evenness part also.. Found one spot that looks different. The upper rear quarters have less gloss compared to the fender part is nice gloss.. Kinda weird. They make this paint in can also, so i might try to touch it up the quarters and roof.

I'd like to wet sand it and 2k clear it just for fun. I dont feel like re taping all that though lol. Might do it sometime, I'll PM you if i decide to do that for sure though. Thanks.

Ya, im not going white wheels. If i did the hood red, i would. But i really like the carbon wrap. Be too much red for me. B/c i have a thing for carbon but too cheap to buy a real one. + its to match this wing here. And ima make a rear diffuser and carbon wrap it as well.

I think the rear will look a lot better with tailpipes and the rear diffuser to tie that craziness together.

Here's what i was talking about thats uhh rather crazy.. It's just a drift style thing for me. Not a road race car. lol. It's a NRG 69'' carbon wing. Would be stoked if its an NBD (never been done) before mod. But im sure someone has one on one. Actually i think the guy that makes the control arms for angle has a big wing on his vert if i recall.

Not mounted yet, was just for pics.
wing front.jpg
wing frontside.jpg
wingrear.jpg

Last edited:
I was gonna make a real carbon fiber rear diffuser. But ima be cheap and just use 1/4'' ply and wood glue fins on then carbon wrap it.

Also wanted to make some type of frame mount/rear bumper wing stands for this wing. Maybe i will some day.

Last edited:
All the lolz. Just wait till i get the diffuser built and tailpipes on. The more i look at it its growing on me already. Yes, any tradionalist is not going to like it. You really gotta be into the drifting scene and like japan drift stuff a lot to understand and have a chance at liking it. lol.