Why does my gt go on the on position when I connect the battery to my gt with no key in the ignition

• Wire

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pcm

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

4.6Sn95

Oct 10, 2019
Cherryville nc
Hey so I got a 1998 mustang gt almost two years ago, I’ve had almost everything replaced/fixed from the head gasket being blown, bad water pump, radiator, spark plugs, fuel pump, thermostat , new radiator hoses, tires, new steering column, drain plug, the car came with a 3.6 l fan(idk y the last owner put that in) and it still won’t start up. It started the first day when the guy sprayed starting fluid in the ignition, so Ik it isn’t locked up. Now here’s the weird part. Ok so if u look under the steering wheel there’s a few wires that I’m guessing didn’t come stock with the car, and the car will turn on the on position as soon as you connect the battery to the car WITH THE KEYS OUT OF THE IGNITION. The radio comes on and the air does too along with everything electrical. Btw when I got the car it didn’t come with the original key but it did have the title. Ok so since a few months ago I went to a scrap yard and got a new steering column with a key that fit. It was from a 03 v6. Why does my gt all of a sudden have power to everything electrical when the battery is hooked up even though the new key isn’t inserted and what is causing that??? My mechanic has literally had it for well over a year now and he still can’t get it fixed. Is it the wiring? Btw the original ignition switch was completely destroyed bc the guy said he lost the keys so he had to jam a flathead screwdriver in it to drive it. That’s why I replaced it. The theft light used to be on but isn’t anymore thankfully. Any ideas? Please help. I’ve waited nearly 2 years to just drive it.

• Sponsors (?)

Is the key off power in I/P fuse #18? What about I/P #11? If so, this is a key to your problem.

Don't over think this. The problem is most likely a bad ignition switch. The ignition switch can be replaced by the DIY'er and does NOT require PATS to be reprogrammed.

Or the ignition switch from a 2003 is not compatible with a 1998. However, Rockauto says that at the ignition switch is compatible. However what we don't know is IF the other parts of the wiring is compatible.

The other possibility is that the ignition switch to key lock cylinder linkage is broken or out of sync.

The alternative is someone has attempted to wire in a remote start or something similar. If so, there is little we can do to help you. Suggest getting a set of Ford factory wiring diagrams.

The other possibility is rodent activity. Personally I would take the bad ignition switch in a heart beat.

MOTORCRAFT SW5011

Last edited: