Fiberglass Trunk Strut Issue

Ive recently purchased a Fiberglass Trunk for my 89 Hatch mustang since my old one had rotted away. I got one from harwood installed with no issues, but I need struts to hold up the hatch. The pressure from the stock one will probably punch a hole through the thin fiberglass so Im not quite sure how I should mount the struts, or which ones to buy. Ive asked for help from Harwood, but they weren't much help. Any suggestions would be a big help, thanks.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I’m not sure about the answer yet, but I’m pretty sure the first question you’re going to get is …… do you have a “notchback” with a trunk…… or an actual hatchback.
You reference both trunk and hatch in your post.

The OEM, I believe, is 14 lbs. For fiberglass, I imagine you'd need something in the 5 lb range.

The other relevant features are:

• Extended Length: 29.06 Inch
  • Compressed Length: 20.47 Inch
  • Stroke Length: 8.58 Inch
  • Shaft Connection(mm): 10mm
  • Body Connection(mm): 10mm

You might have to fish around to find just the right one.

Just found the strut that Redline currently carries, Ill talk to a rep tomorrow when their open to get more information.
1676339839523.png

Reactions: 1 user
The OEM, I believe, is 14 lbs. For fiberglass, I imagine you'd need something in the 5 lb range.

The other relevant features are:

• Extended Length: 29.06 Inch
  • Compressed Length: 20.47 Inch
  • Stroke Length: 8.58 Inch
  • Shaft Connection(mm): 10mm
  • Body Connection(mm): 10mm

You might have to fish around to find just the right one.
I’d have to say, after just replacing my OEM hatch hinges….. that hatch is far more than 14 pounds……. Or I need to get back in the gym ASAP!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user