King Cobra Build in Oregon

Right now my rims are 15 X 8 front and rear. Rear tires are 205/60/R15, front are 195/50/R15. Fronts look good now.
Mine are 15X8 Ebay rims are 15X9 with a 4 3/4 backspace. Mine are 4 1/4. I have 209/60/R15 now. Lots of room. Thinking 225/60/15 should fit fine.
Are you just talking about replacing the rear rims with the 15x9? You will stay with the 195/50R15 on the front? are the front rims also 15x8?

I had this on my 79 Mustang when I lived in Germany while in the Air Force. It was caused by salt and chemicals used on the autobahn. Paint on rims was not able to stop the salt.
If corrosion started on the wheels, it is nearly impossible to stop it again. Also from safety aspect: if you have money for edelbrock heads, spent it for good wheels. ;)
I personally love the aero wheels, which would look awesome on your yellow car:
aeo-50-104520_xl.jpg

But I think you want to stick with that style of wheel you have...

• Sponsors (?)

I run 15x8 on rear and 15x6.5 front. I cut 1/3 of a spring off v6 stock springs. So I am maybe 1" lower up front. I think your gonna have a hard time running the 8 on the front. I semi rolled the fender lips, pulled the liners and flattened the body seam. I still get occasional rubbing with 205/60/15 on front. The 195 may give you the room but its gonna be tight. Once upon a time I put 215/60/13 on 13x8 up front on stock suspension. They came right back off. Could not test drive it due to rubbing. iirc the control arms rubbed and the wheels would not bolt all the way down.

I also think the 4-3/4 back space might give you fits. You'll probably be able to get away with it as long as you use a spacer. I don't think you'll need much more than 1/4", it'll depend on the tire. There were a couple places in the wheel well that needed a hammer massage and the tire is pretty close to the springs in my car. Just an area of concern to watch out for once you get them.

Started to repair wiring in the dash area getting ready to install my dash and 8 track. I found this behind the dash. Can't find my wire diagram so I need a bit of help figuring out what this is. I was going to cut it open looking for cash or a treasure map but figure I should ask. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Dash thing.jpg
    Dash thing.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 79
if this is on the back of the instrument cluster beside the speedometer cable it is the RPM adapter for V8s. As you know Mustang II was never intended to be used with a V8 so they needed an extra thingy to make the RPM gauge work with the V8. This is a treasure, you old pirate! ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Can you make some pictures of the thingy if it is deinstalled? Perhaps it fits my spare instrument cluster with KMH speedometer.
In any case pictures would be very interesting to me, just because carcheology...

Was it on the cluster itself, behind the tach? If so, that's exactly what it is, and if that's what it is I'd be interested! It surely looks like that piece going from memory.... :)

If LILCBRA is in need of the tach converter thingy, I'm fine with that. I know that it will not fit my 74 instrument cluster.
You spoke up first, so if it fits it ships. I'm assuming it will but in case it doesn't, I'd take it! I believe I'm missing it in my car for whatever reason which is why my tach hasn't worked every time I try. It's the reason I went with an aftermarket tach installed on the steering column. I'd like to get rid of it as it clutters the space IMO, but it's not a dire need or anything - so my request is #2 in line. Thanks for the offer to hold off @extra_stout , but it's yours if it'll work! :)

Oh, didn't know this was popular item. Attached,find photos as requested. I did a continuity check between the box and the plug going into the dash. They do attach to each other. At least the three wires go to the dash plug. I am pretty sure the tach worked when I drove the car. 99% sure. Photos show the plugs, Ford part number and company name. I have no idea what this is worth or how to proceed with this. If your looking to install in your mustang to make yours work, the price drops....to buy and resell ???

Attachments

• comp name 2.jpg
    comp name 2.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Ford Part Number.jpg
    Ford Part Number.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Plugs.jpg
    Plugs.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 70
It will fit my spare instrument cluster, but the spare one is 75+ (D5ZF-.... tag on the back of the tacho).
IMG_20211030_090842.jpg
I'm not sure it will fit my 74 wiring harness... and don't have time to check it in the next time. If I remember right, I have read somewhere that it doesn't fit.
I bought this spare instrument cluster for the KPH speedometer, which will be - very likely - interchangeable with my 74 cluster:
IMG_20211030_090900.jpg

I think it is very likely that it will work with @LILCBRA car because it is 77 and your converter thingy has a D7ZF tag. Seems 75-76 could be different. Could some one ask the jedi squirrels about that?!
If @LILCBRA can use it, give/sell it to him.

I don't remember details but iirc the tach adapter is different due to wiring harness changes. My crappy memory tells me the 75/76 then the 77/78 were the same. I think it was just wiring pin changes or a different connector at the tach adapter though I think you can repin them or change the harness connector. Take that with a grain of salt as I never tried so I do not know for sure.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't remember details but iirc the tach adapter is different due to wiring harness changes. My crappy memory tells me the 75/76 then the 77/78 were the same. I think it was just wiring pin changes or a different connector at the tach adapter though I think you can repin them or change the harness connector. Take that with a grain of salt as I never tried so I do not know for sure.
That seems right to me too.

Not trying to make lots of money on this. It seems only fair to pass this on to someone who needs it for a stock dash. If needed, I will not be using the dash that came with this. I do remember the speedo did not work, but I just took the dash out without trying to fix anything. Did not CUT ANY WIRES OR DO ANY DAMAGE taking it out.. I can do a continuity check and match which wires go to the dash input plug if needed. To be honest I am not looking to make a lot on this. A trade for a VDO white cockpit clock and fruit cake (REgular) from Claxton Fruit Cake.com 5-- 1LB package deal seems very cheap......This covers postage and dash if you need it. Or, if this is really a once in a lifetime find, a set of BF goodrich T/A radial tires. Your choice. (Clock is an option). I have found others like Auto Meter, just trying to keep all gauges the same make.

The Tach driver is a desirable MII part as is the clock with its correct trim. Only Phill Schmidt knows the going price.

Personally I think LILCBRA needs someone to give him a break. He helps everyone on this and other forums with anything. He's that kind of guy.

Called Phil: Confirmed what this is and said they sell for about $40 if you can find one. Seems LLCBRA gets a lot of votes as he helps folks, to include myself. So LLILCBRA is you need this, I will trade for a couple of fruit cakes as mentioned before. The 3 1lb package is a good one. This will cover postage on this end. If you want the dash aslo, the 5 1lb package will cover postage from here. don' know how to do this. Don't know if I should cut the plug off and include. Need to look at the wire diagram to make sure this does not cause problems.