King Cobra Build in Oregon

I do not like high pressure or high volume oil pumps for a street car. Both come with downsides with no upsides for most street cars. Both require more power to function. It's negligable but every bit of power helps.

High pressure pumps can cause oil to overshoot the rocker arms. Leading to oil starvation at the rocker. IMHO they are used when oil pressure is low and the engine needs rebuilt anyway.

High volume can lead to too much oil in the valve covers. This causes them to leak or can cause oil starvation as the oil does not have time to return to the pan at high rpm.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the tips. The timing chain was new when engine rebuilt some time back. but car sat for 8 years. From timing chain cover had some leaks. I changed the seals and inspected the chain. Moved about 3/4 inch and was clean and solid. Installing new aluminum heads. Picking up distributor today, just got a call saying it's ready. i have half case of K&N filters left from my company. I got them to give away at car shows. K&N donated them. Very popular raffle items. Have both the large and small Ford filters. Was hoping the rain would stop and it would get warm. No rain today but rain for next couple of days. Was hoping to paint the engine compartment and door jams, but now have to wait a few days. My cat Zoey just informed me she is hungry and is walking on the key board. Later

Reactions: 1 users
Getting engine ready. Just found out that in 1962 Mercury engines were yellow. At lease my buddy with a 62 merc told me. Hope to have new heads on tomorrow. Took my manifolds to be powder coated and have the rear hatch sand blasted to I can repair some rust areas. Planning to paint the engine compartment Saturday; at least get the primer/sealer done. Ordering new clutch and parts from MDL next week. Was thinking about a hydrophilic throw out beating system but they seem to be pretty costly. Not use which one/system to get.

Attachments

• Oil Pan.jpg
    Oil Pan.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 65
  • Yellow Block no heads.jpg
    Yellow Block no heads.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: 2 users
Ordered a new clutch kit today. still thinking about the hydraulic throw out bearing. Need to check some prices. Painted Transmission Saturdy. Looks good. Ran out of paint. got more and will do the bell housing tomorrow. Cleaned it a bit more today. Put more sealer/primer on today. Had to redo the area in front of the windshield. Several areas I sanded came thru. Fix run on the mirrors and put another coat to ensure the black does not show. Painted inside the mirror housing. Will paint the sealed areas yellow tomorrow.

Outside the Mustang area. Went to see the new Elvis movie yesterday.. If you liked Elvis you will enjoy the movie. Lots of new stuff about his life. Music is great.....

Attachments

• Trans Y side.jpg
    Trans Y side.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Mirror.jpg
    Mirror.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Winsheild.jpg
    Winsheild.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
If the clutch fork at the trans clears your exhaust the hydraulic throwout is not really needed. Since your using exhaust manifolds it's a nice luxury but adds some work getting it installed. The mdl clutch is not stiff like a lot of aftermarket clutches. It feels just like the oem clutch. Christine had an oem clutch and the Mach I still has oem. They feel/felt the same as the new mdl clutch.

Is that a Fox body go cart in the background?

My Mustang ii go cart. Put a new engine in it last year. I am putting an air scoop on to match the King Cobra. Also thinking about getting a V8 model and put under the hood for shows...... I am also putting real LED sequential turn signals and brake lights. Figure an MC battery will work just fine. Also thinking about LED head lights just for the fun of it. Put working on hold until mine is done. I did get a racing helmet for it.............at a garage sale. Trying to find some brakes for it. There are no go cart shops any where near me to have it looked at. Any ideas would be great. It does not stop very well.....But does drive nice. Drove it to a store last year.. used the bike lines. Lots of looks :oops:

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users
Hello again. Been kind busy and sick for a while. Got the VID (corvid) two weeks ago. thought it was my hay fever. Was taking Allegry-D for three days along with ADVIL. Was tired but not too bad. Then my wife got sick. found out someone in the office had the VID, so went down to get tested. I figured while I was there might as well get a test also. Found out we both had it. I recovered in a couple of days but my wife is still coughing and has a chest cold. Dr. said some people take a month to get rid of the after effects.

Yesterday tried to install engine/transmission. Had the flywheel done. Looks really nice but is so heavy. Tried to install the new pressure plate and it does not align. Called MDL. They are sending a chart to determine which flywheel I have. Must say their customer support is very helpful.

Been sanding and repairing the paint. Finished the engine compartment. Have the front fenders ready to paint. Wanted to get the drive train in before doing any more body work. Well post what I learn.

Attachments

• PressurePlate.jpg
    PressurePlate.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Ah yes, I see.  I see.
Called MDL. Seems they do not have a pressure plate for a "REAL" Mustang II fly wheel. They make a replacement that fits this clutch kit. This one is for a 79 or newer 5.0. They offered to refund if I send all the parts back. I am going to keep them The clutch disc fits along with the throw out bearing. I am sure I can find someone who needs a pressure plate. the old plate the the old disc really are not in back shape In fact, they show very little wear. I 'll send a photo tomorrow. I did win $150 on a lotto ticket today so I'm good. Only spend about $2,000 to win, but I won........:coff:

• Winner
:ot: So my friend who just bought a 65 Mercury Caliente about three months ago traded it for a 1963 Falcon Ranchero. He wants to get the V6 out of the 75 Mustang I have. Has anyone have information regarding a swap like this? I figure it should be a pretty easy swap, just need to find motor mounts.

I am confused on the pressure plate. I was told it's a direct fit by mdl. I have an mdl flywheel and clutch assembly in Christine. I picked up another clutch kit for the mach I from them to use on an oem flywheel. I just compared them and the bolt holes do not line up between the mdl kit and the original ii flywheel. The size matches but the mounting holes are off.

I guess you have to use their flywheel with their clutch.

• Wow
I am confused on the pressure plate. I was told it's a direct fit by mdl. I have an mdl flywheel and clutch assembly in Christine. I picked up another clutch kit for the mach I from them to use on an oem flywheel. I just compared them and the bolt holes do not line up between the mdl kit and the original ii flywheel. The size matches but the mounting holes are off.

I guess you have to use their flywheel with their clutch.
WTF! Here I've been promoting it vs. using the clutch available from CAR which I have. (MDL was not making a clutch for the 2's at that time.) You'd think they'd tell you that you need the flywheel.

Yep you would think. I still do not have the 2 pilot bushings I paid for from them. The ones they sent originally were tight on input shaft of the transmission I puschased at the same time. As well as being loose in crankshaft. Both were for the same application but were different from each other. I returned them last fall and still have not heard back from them. They did not refund me as they would "investigate what happened" and get back to me. Granted I have not kept harassing them but after a couple unanswered emails I gave up.

I have recommended them a few times but will no longer recommend them unless I tell the problems I have had as well.

I have recommended them a few times but will no longer recommend them unless I tell the problems I have had as well.
Same here. I used the clutch from CAR but at least they were up front about it and came right out and said that you'll need to have the flywheel machined. Which I did and the machinist took the pressure plate and balanced it also. Smooth operating now. For MDL to not post that info anywhere is kind of shady. Not what I expected from them.

They did say they had a flywheel for the 2. Kinda surprised i had a "real" one for my 2. Not worn out. Had it re surfaced. Kinda heavy ........

I am using the clutch disc and throw out bearing from the kit. Using the old pressure plate. it looks find with no wear of burn marks. Disc looks fine, but will keep it as a spare. Small amount of wear. copper just beginning to show. HOWEVER it seems the T-5 output shaft cover is just a bit to big for the bell housing opening. Going to use my dremel tool to shave just a bit off the bell housing opening. Bought a few different bits to see what will trim the hole. should be a quick job.

Attachments

• Bolt Pattern.jpg
    Bolt Pattern.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 42