Nick's "lvndpst" Restoration (and Slight Modification) Thread

I went out tonight and installed my clutch firewall adjuster, and then moved on to adding the catalytic convertors to my H pipe. I figured out there was no place on my H pipe for the cats to fit aside from the very tail end, so thats where they went in temporary form. Eventually I will weld them in place, and cut/weld the ball ends on so cat back systems can bolt on as usual.

20171115_205620.jpg

Once they were on, I added two gallons of gas to the tank and fired her up. Without the spout, the car will idle steady at 850 RPM (lumpy cam). When I plug the spout connector in, it has a small surge and lifts the idle to 1100 or so. I let it run until it was up to temp, and the temp stayed right in the center of the gauge just like it did when stock. So far I have no leaks, good oil pressure, and no real issues aside from sorting out that hunting idle. If I remember right, @jrichker has a hell of a checklist for this. Cant wait to go through that, lol.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I went out tonight and installed my clutch firewall adjuster, and then moved on to adding the catalytic convertors to my H pipe. I figured out there was no place on my H pipe for the cats to fit aside from the very tail end, so thats where they went in temporary form. Eventually I will weld them in place, and cut/weld the ball ends on so cat back systems can bolt on as usual.

20171115_205620.jpg

Once they were on, I added two gallons of gas to the tank and fired her up. Without the spout, the car will idle steady at 850 RPM (lumpy cam). When I plug the spout connector in, it has a small surge and lifts the idle to 1100 or so. I let it run until it was up to temp, and the temp stayed right in the center of the gauge just like it did when stock. So far I have no leaks, good oil pressure, and no real issues aside from sorting out that hunting idle. If I remember right, @jrichker has a hell of a checklist for this. Cant wait to go through that, lol.

Wait a minute.....this is the second time I've seen a picture of a catalytic converter placed waay out of the vicinity where it'll do any good.

I thought that the farther away you place a converter, the cooler the exhaust will be,...effectively negating the function of a cat..( which needs the exhaust as hot as it can be,..i.e., immediately after the down pipe.)

Now I am not a expert here,..but I think that there is now at least two of you that have those big assed things too far back to do any good.
:confused::confused:
Oh, and......Congratulations on the engine running..;)

Reactions: 1 user
I honestly dont know anything about the placement of them. They certainly cut down on the smell last night though, versus the first night I started it. I had planned to put them in their normal placement, but they wont fit any further forward without hitting the floor of the car or the trans crossmember. So for now, thats where they are going. If they help the smell at all then its worth it because they've just been sitting on a shelf paid for for two years anyway. American Muscle wouldnt take them back after the 6 month mark, and no longer carry them now.

We'll just call them "mid mufflers."

Last edited:
If you actually need to pass the sniffer, you'll want those closer to the engine where they will run hotter. Unsure if where they are now will help with the smell if that's all you care about. I would think they would.

If you actually need to pass the sniffer, you'll want those closer to the engine where they will run hotter. Unsure if where they are now will help with the smell if that's all you care about. I would think they would.

No inspection in Iowa. :banana:

They definitely still help with the smell. First start up I could barely breathe with the garage door wide open. Last night I only raised the door a foot or so, and opened the side door (people door), and the smell wasnt bad at all. Im sure its not ideal placement, but they still work to some degree.

Wait a minute.....this is the second time I've seen a picture of a catalytic converter placed waay out of the vicinity where it'll do any good.

I thought that the farther away you place a converter, the cooler the exhaust will be,...effectively negating the function of a cat..( which needs the exhaust as hot as it can be,..i.e., immediately after the down pipe.)

Now I am not a expert here,..but I think that there is now at least two of you that have those big assed things too far back to do any good.

This has been like a gnat in my ear. I just learned it is supposed to be 55 degrees this afternoon, and the wifey gave me permission for a garage night. Chop, cut, rebuild of the H pipe with the cats in the correct place is going to happen tonight. Trial by fire with my welding practice I guess. I am going to have to cut out the pipe where the cats will go, and use that pipe to lengthen the down pipes off the headers to allow the whole assembly to hang low enough for the cats to fit without hitting the floor. Then I have to weld the sections back on the end that I had cut off originally. Dang you Mike and your logical thinking!

Reactions: 2 users
Got pretty far on it tonight. The rest will wait until I fit a catback. Last thing Im gonna do is weld it all up and realize I placed it wrong. So pics of tonight's work.

Passenger side:

20171120_183533.jpg

Fitting:

20171120_183945.jpg

Novice welds, but I grinded them down to smear exhaust junk on to be sure there are no pin holes.
20171120_185426.jpg

20171120_190133.jpg

20171120_190537.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Driver's side:

20171120_191529.jpg

Pretty tight. Has a skinny guy's pinky worth of space from the crossmember. Notice the cat is upside down, because the sheild rubbed the other way. Gonna need some stick on heat sheilding for the floor of the car.

20171120_192857.jpg

This side fought to go back together like it was supposed to, but I figured it out. Seems so simple, but with that tiny space I had to really try to get it lined up right.

20171120_203936.jpg

And where Im leaving off for tonight.

20171120_204038.jpg

Never said it was a show car, lol. This is my $250 catted H pipe. Sure beats a $550 name brand piece as far as my wallet is concerned.

Oh yeah, I had a grinding wheel give out and catch a finger. One of these days I will wear the gloves that lay on my tool box. Probably after I lose a finger.

20171120_204358.jpg

It may not seem like it to you Nick, but Jeez! You're making really good progress.:nice:

Thanks buddy. I wish I could have put the driver's side cat on oriented correctly (heat shield between it and the body of the car), but it just wouldnt fit without hacking up more of the down pipe. I wonder how well POR15 stands up to heat. I could clean and paint that area with it before I weld it all into place... Now I need to go out and read the can.

You are likely thinking of me here... I did mostly the same thing except mine was 100% off the car. They are farther back on the H pipe but still effective as I'm only concerned about the smell not the smog. Here's how I did it.

I made the template on the cardboard box to insure I had the same dimensions when finished.

5rcJFtc.jpg

6zVYqpq.jpg

0tX0LeC.jpg

VzQ57pi.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Great job on yours Nick, keep up the good work and don't forget about safety! On a side note it's been at least a month since I had a fire in my garage so I'm doing pretty good I think!

Reactions: 3 users
Great job on yours Nick, keep up the good work and don't forget about safety! On a side note it's been at least a month since I had a fire in my garage so I'm doing pretty good I think!

Lol, I left out the part where I used an empty gas can on its side (same one I used last week to add gas to the car) with a piece of exhaust tubing to hold the H pipe in place while I tacked it in place. It felt super sketchy, but was the perfect set up for the height I needed!