Opinions on a rear gear change

Stump1000

Apr 5, 2003
Morristown Tn
I am currently running a 3.73 gear. I've been thinking about a 4.10 or 4.30. The 3.73 just dont cut it on a weak heavy car. I run 14.26 @ 94mph on the motor. I run 13.12 @ 104.98mph on nitrous. How much do you think 4.30 would help it? Suggestions please

• Sponsors (?)

IMO, 4.30's would only improve your ET's by .1 or .2 at the most.

What is your RPM in 4th gear when you cross the finish line. You may run out of gear w/ the 4.30's (idk, just asking).
Scott

i have 430s, my engine is stock an my car hauls ass,(for being almost all stock) you shouldnt run out of gear, you will cross the line in 4th depending on where you shift your car. they deffinatly make a huge difference over 373s, with just gears my car can hang with some heads, cam, an intake cars. nothing crazy though. for example a friend of mine has a 5.0 with a B cam,gt 40 heads, gt 40 intake, 355 gears, full exhaust and 24lb injectors an he beats me by one car, i take him the whole race an just at the end he will pull on me an ill be at his bumper, for a car with just 430s, and exhaust that is pretty good imo. from having 430s i can see you possibly taking about a second off your quarter mile time with them

cb18201 said:
i have 430s, my engine is stock an my car hauls ass,(for being almost all stock) you shouldnt run out of gear, you will cross the line in 4th depending on where you shift your car. they deffinatly make a huge difference over 373s, with just gears my car can hang with some heads, cam, an intake cars. nothing crazy though. for example a friend of mine has a 5.0 with a B cam,gt 40 heads, gt 40 intake, 355 gears, full exhaust and 24lb injectors an he beats me by one car, i take him the whole race an just at the end he will pull on me an ill be at his bumper, for a car with just 430s, and exhaust that is pretty good imo. from having 430s i can see you possibly taking about a second off your quarter mile time with them
im not trying to downgrade you at all when i make this comment, so dont take it personal. What you are being beaten by is almost a STOCK cobra with an exhaust. So hanging with him is cool and all, its just you arent really racing a "true" HCI stang. Race someone like killer for the real verdict. Im just saying this bc my generation has this thing where we hear "i got 4.30 gears and can hang with HCI guys, so i must be in the low 13s, high 12s." but thats cool that the gears make that much of a difference

One of the things im kinda worried about is that i already run nitrous and it runs 105mph in the quarter. A 4.30 gear with 26 inch slicks will be 6000rpm at 107mph. So when i get h/c/i and squeeze it Im gonna have to change the gear again. I may just go with 4.10s. If i could pick up a couple tenths with the swap it would be worth it imo.

17yrOldStanger said:
im not trying to downgrade you at all when i make this comment, so dont take it personal. What you are being beaten by is almost a STOCK cobra with an exhaust. So hanging with him is cool and all, its just you arent really racing a "true" HCI stang. Race someone like killer for the real verdict. Im just saying this bc my generation has this thing where we hear "i got 4.30 gears and can hang with HCI guys, so i must be in the low 13s, high 12s." but thats cool that the gears make that much of a difference

note the part whre i said "NOTHING CRAZY THOUGH" meaning the car i raced was nothing crazy, techncally it had differnt heads, a cam an intake so its is a heads cam an intake car but it was nothing crazy like i said, for my car having gears an being able to hang with a car with a slightly built motor I think that is pretty decent

Stump1000 said:
One of the things im kinda worried about is that i already run nitrous and it runs 105mph in the quarter. A 4.30 gear with 26 inch slicks will be 6000rpm at 107mph. So when i get h/c/i and squeeze it Im gonna have to change the gear again. I may just go with 4.10s. If i could pick up a couple tenths with the swap it would be worth it imo.

I think you're exactly right to worry about that. In a similar thread KillerCanary said he crosses at 6200 rpms in 4th with 4.10s in a naturally aspirated H/C/I. 4.10's might even be too much with juice. If you're gonna juice and have an h/c/i you're probably fine with the 3.73's you have right now.

You definately won't take a second off your race time by switching from 3.73s to 4.30s. Unless its a bench race :rolleyes:

I vote for 3.89s :nice: (or 3.90s for an 8.8)

I'm putting in 3.89s for the new motor and I'm planning on shifting around 6800-7000. Best I can recall, that should put me through the traps at around 6200 or so in 4th gear with a 27" tire. I think...it's been a while since I did the math.