Reinforcing the factory seats

JadeFalcon

Founding Member
Mar 28, 2002
Arlington, TX
Has anyone in here got a link to reinforce the factory seat frames? I picked up a set of perfect frames and I'd like to go to work with the welder, but I remember seeing some article on where and how to weld them so they are stiffer. Anyone have any experience with this or any links?

• Sponsors (?)

There aren't many seams in the frames, I would think the lower ones near the bottom of the seatback are the most common ones to break and will cause the ghetto lean (at least in my experience). Running some good beads around there will probably ensure no problems for a long, long time, if ever. That's how my driver's side is done anyway -- been perfect so far.

:stupid: What he said.

The factory just hits it a few times with a spot weld, doesn't hold up too well.
The driver seat frames in my car are reinforced. I bought the car with the gansta lean which worked great as a barganing tool when I was buying it but after that it had to be fixed. I also had the left seat bolt stud ripped out of the floor, and had a rip in the side of the seat. Alot of welding but the seat is almost as good as new. Made the driver's seat noticably heavier than the passenger, but oh well.