Steve's Megasquirt/tunerstudio Help Thread

• Sponsors (?)

I've had my mspnp for a couple of months now on my '94 Gt and learned a lot reading this forum, also a big shout out to a91what for help with my tune. What setting do i need to adjust to keep the idle from dropping when coming to a stop? The car doesnt die but comes close to it.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have Idle initail values table enabled, you will increase the values in this table to tell the valve to open farther when first entering CL idle.

beyond this simple adjustment there are a host of other parameters that could need some slight tweaking. try this first then report back

Added 5 to Initial Idle Values and it seem to help some.....I think surging is still my biggest nemesis, if i tap the throttle it clears up for a few min.

Attachments

• Driving_8-16.msl
    400.4 KB · Views: 172
Added 5 to Initial Idle Values and it seem to help some.....I think surging is still my biggest nemesis, if i tap the throttle it clears up for a few min.
How did you take this log file?? only some of the data fields have been logged... I cannot see the most important fields.
I need everything... every last data field they are all important

One of the biggest culprits i see for your surging idle is AFR swing... the fuel table needs more tuning.

I see one of the culprits being how the ignition table is setup right now, I have an idea of what may help...

The file named Steves ignition Table, load this into your IGN Table 1.

then set the idle advance settings the way i have them in the picture.

Attachments

• Steves Ignition Table.msqpart
    2.8 KB · Views: 250
  • idle control settings.PNG
    idle control settings.PNG
    45.3 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
Now for questions. Why did you change what you did? What did you expect the results to be from the changes?...(.not questioning your abilities AT all, just trying to learn.)....as always, thanks for your time and advice.

Also why does the kPa on the timing tables go to 203kPa?.....my car is NA,

Last edited:
Now for questions. Why did you change what you did? What did you expect the results to be from the changes?...(.not questioning your abilities AT all, just trying to learn.)....as always, thanks for your time and advice.
We are just making changes based on what the car needs, the first tune i sent you was adjusted with no datalog so it was a best guess.
1. I changed the timing table so the ignition table did not 'run away' at idle, ie. the timing went up quickly from 900 to 1300 before now it stays at a relatively the same amount in the entire idle region.
2. I expected exactly what we got, the idle is nice and smooth until the idle goes below 850 rpm at this point i see the idle valve begin to oscillate to hold it at the setpoint. now you need to tweak the idle settings to get the oscillation settled down. the surge is much less drastic.

Without being with the car and limited information it is difficult to set things just how the car likes it, every engine is a bit different.

Things to try next:
lower the idle valve gain [slider bar] this is in the closed loop idle settings.

Adjust the fuel..... I would help with this but there is no good way to explain what needs to be done without showing you.... or doing it for you, but that would not teach you anything

Reactions: 1 users

Also why does the kPa on the timing tables go to 203kPa?.....my car is NA,
It goes to 203 because that is a table i use when building a base tune.... it covers most* installations it is the same table i am using on my car

Just getting into this. I got a pnp2 locally for a great price. The previous owner has a tune on it for a turbo application. It’s of no use to me. Where can I get a basic tune to start with?
Stock 5.0 bottom end
Edelebrock intake
70mm tb
Ported e7 heads (I’ll likely upgrade these in the spring)
Headers
E303 Cam
24# injectors
5 speed

Any help is greatly appreciated. I’ll read up a lot more before actually installing this!

Just getting into this. I got a pnp2 locally for a great price. The previous owner has a tune on it for a turbo application. It’s of no use to me. Where can I get a basic tune to start with?
Stock 5.0 bottom end
Edelebrock intake
70mm tb
Ported e7 heads (I’ll likely upgrade these in the spring)
Headers
E303 Cam
24# injectors
5 speed

Any help is greatly appreciated. I’ll read up a lot more before actually installing this!
You can get a base tune from the DIY website or if you like i can help you with a basetune.

You can get a base tune from the DIY website or if you like i can help you with a basetune.

Your help would be awesome! I’m completely green to this ecu and tuning so not sure where to start. Been trying to read up and watch videos and at the same time trying not to get overwhelmed lol. I think once I get some time with it it’ll click in my brain.

Your help would be awesome! I’m completely green to this ecu and tuning so not sure where to start. Been trying to read up and watch videos and at the same time trying not to get overwhelmed lol. I think once I get some time with it it’ll click in my brain.
I am going to move this to its own thread. you should download the software [its free] and start getting familiar with it now.