Steve's Megasquirt/tunerstudio Help Thread

I'm a "Digital immigrant" new to tuning. I finally got over the price tag and bought a MSPNP2 for my 1992 Ford Ranger 4x4 which has a 1989 Mustang 5.0 HO with GT40P heads and Explorer intake with Explorer FEAD. Finished that swap about 3 years ago and put 25K on it to and from hunting ranch. Picked all the stuff for EDIS 8 and sat on it for a year. Now I'm trying to get it running well on the MSPNP2 and then I'll swap ignition systems. I put my WB O2 sensor in a couple days ago and the gauge works fine but I think I misinterpreted the directions for the input to the ECU and hooked the brown wire from the LC-2 to Pin 21(Oxygen Sensor input) on the options connector on my ECU, did the AFR table setup, etc. No input to the AFR gauge on TS. I'm going to try switching to the yellow wire from the LC-2 since its voltage should be the correct one for the input. Anyway, I look forward to learning a lot from this forum!
img_3231-jpg.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

thats not the problem, you need to open the MSpnp up and swap the jumpers inside the case so it will get the input from the WB.

http://www.megasquirtpnp.com/docs/mspnp_g2_genInstall.php

scroll down to board jumpers
I read that list of jumpers 20 times and can't find O2 sensor anywhere on it. What am I missing?
From the same manual:
"There are two ways of connecting the controller to the MSPNP2. You can either connect the analog output to the pin labeled Oxygen Sensor input of the option connector, or you can cut and splice the oxygen sensor signal wire to the analog output. If you use this pin for wideband input, you must disconnect the stock oxygen sensor. Do not ground the oxygen sensor wire if you disconnect it; leave it completely unconnected and taped off if necessary...

+1

However maf is possible.... I have been told that it can simplify some of the tuning process. the tricky part is setting up tables for fuel trim during boost.
If your not running turbo I suggest %baro as your fuel algorithm of choice.

Should evrything be set to baro percent in general settings for a belt driven s/c car? For example, primary fuel load, primary ignition load, afr table load, EAE curve load?

Wow, thanks for the fast reply. i am reading through this entire thread trying to set up my tune.I have never done any computer tuning before, this tread has been very helpful thanks for all of your expertise. I was hoping you could look it over before i load it onto the mega squirt? I have spent a lot of time on this engine and I am worried i am going to mess something up.

Wow, thanks for the fast reply. i am reading through this entire thread trying to set up my tune.I have never done any computer tuning before, this tread has been very helpful thanks for all of your expertise. I was hoping you could look it over before i load it onto the mega squirt? I have spent a lot of time on this engine and I am worried i am going to mess something up.
No problem, if you make a thread for yourself in the digital self tuning forum (this forum) I will answer specific questions. 99% of the threads are MS related so if you read through a few of them you will find some great info. I removed a bunch of posts from this thread and moved them into individual ones to keep track of them.

Reactions: 1 user
I found this table in Mega Log viewer Histogram/table Generator ... I think this is very helpfull... you make a datalog pull and then check out this table and you can see exactly and very easy all your AFR readings during the pass .... as you can see..mine runs way too lean at several points .. now just adjust the lean AFR fields...

Attachments

• 20181230_091301[1].jpg
    20181230_091301[1].jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 211
I launched the car from 2400 up to 5400 ..like a drag pull and made VE analize for this Part of the data log ..need to try how it works now..still have not used the Nitrous but thats next when im shure there is no lean AFR readings above 3000 rpm...also need to try with the Drag tires .. there is too much wheel spin with the Street...

I always are in a Fight with hot daytime set up and way cooler night...here its so damm hot (35/40 cels) during day time and very quick engine beginns to knock ..at night it has a good humidity and way cooler temps like 25 cels. and engine runs much better .. and its possible to run higher Timing advance.. .. also for Drag race ..I live at Sea level but race track is about 3000ft above ..and also run Nitrous or aspirated ... :oops: need a lot of different setups..jaja

That's no issue, we can setup the system to pull timing with hot intake temps to stop knock during the day. Think of it as self adjusting once it's done.

MS can also add fuel and pull timing with the Nitrous settings... all it takes is an input to the MS, you can use the same input you use to trigger the nitrous solenoid.

I can help with setup if you need the info.

Little bit lost here and could use some help getting things working. I get only my guages from tuner studio. Crank no start, assuming timing is out on tuner studio (because megalog viewer showing no spark output) but cannot change anything only get this from tunerstudio. What am I doing wrong? This is the microsquirt for the foxbody, with a 92 foxbody motor, and basically stock other than cam, pistons, and little stuff that dont make much differences in a 94 f150. I have a marine 351w ECU I can hook up and start right up drives but its needing tune. That's why I bought the microsquirt. Help please. I'm not totally lost just new program.

Attachments

• 20190101_154347.jpg
    20190101_154347.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 214
Little bit lost here and could use some help getting things working. I get only my guages from tuner studio. Crank no start, assuming timing is out on tuner studio (because megalog viewer showing no spark output) but cannot change anything only get this from tunerstudio. What am I doing wrong? This is the microsquirt for the foxbody, with a 92 foxbody motor, and basically stock other than cam, pistons, and little stuff that dont make much differences in a 94 f150. I have a marine 351w ECU I can hook up and start right up drives but its needing tune. That's why I bought the microsquirt. Help please. I'm not totally lost just new program.
You have double clicked the gauge screen, double click it again to return to the tuning screen... TS has an option to run a dashboard only mode, likely you have accidentally enabled this feature. To change this back to the tuning interface follow these steps.
-open the 'options' drop box
-enter the 'performace' field
-uncheck the 'dash only mode' box
let me know if this fixes you up

You have double clicked the gauge screen, double click it again to return to the tuning screen... TS has an option to run a dashboard only mode, likely you have accidentally enabled this feature. To change this back to the tuning interface follow these steps.

I'll check when I get home it's very possible. Will update when I get home.

We are good to go it cranks again but that is it. Not Time to figure out why it's not getting a rpm signal. No spark or injector pulse because "rpm not synced"

Ok, is the spout plugged in? You get no rpm signal to the ECU so that means it's not reading the pip in the distributor. Is the gauge on the dash showing rpm?

Do me a favor and do a composite log (datalog of ignition system) so I can check the i/o on the ECU.

Fyi my first question about the spout connector at the distributor is important, the car wont run if its unplugged.

Hello all, I recently purchased the 86-93 MSPNP2 item for my mustang. I set the timing to fixed 12.0 and corrected it while using the timing light and trigger wizard. I followed the steps on this webpage: https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tec ... se-timing/

Once I set the timing and burn it in. I then set it to 'use table'. Upon every startup the car immediately revs to 3000rpm and steadily increases, it does not drop down This is very unusual as the original ecu would simply rev up to 1400 then settle to 950 upon warming up.

Can you please assist me with this as it is very annoying. I have tried to change the idle cranking duty percentage from 25.1 all the way down to 14.0 and it doesn't change a thing. The small box mentions to keep lowering the percentage so that the revs do not go high on startup but it doesn't change how high or low it revs up to.

Every time I start it up it goes straight to 3000rpm. The tune I have loaded is just the base tune for the 86-93 ford mustang from the megasquirt webpage: link below

http://www.megasquirtpnp.com/downloads/ ... 2_331a.msq

I posted on the MSExtra support forums and they have made some suggestions such as lowering the crank to run taper from 9 to 3 but unfortunately it doesnt change anything.

Thank you

Hello all, I recently purchased the 86-93 MSPNP2 item for my mustang. I set the timing to fixed 12.0 and corrected it while using the timing light and trigger wizard. I followed the steps on this webpage: https://www.diyautotune.com/support/tec ... se-timing/

Once I set the timing and burn it in. I then set it to 'use table'. Upon every startup the car immediately revs to 3000rpm and steadily increases, it does not drop down This is very unusual as the original ecu would simply rev up to 1400 then settle to 950 upon warming up.

Can you please assist me with this as it is very annoying. I have tried to change the idle cranking duty percentage from 25.1 all the way down to 14.0 and it doesn't change a thing. The small box mentions to keep lowering the percentage so that the revs do not go high on startup but it doesn't change how high or low it revs up to.

Every time I start it up it goes straight to 3000rpm. The tune I have loaded is just the base tune for the 86-93 ford mustang from the megasquirt webpage: link below

http://www.megasquirtpnp.com/downloads/ ... 2_331a.msq

I posted on the MSExtra support forums and they have made some suggestions such as lowering the crank to run taper from 9 to 3 but unfortunately it doesnt change anything.

Thank you
Simple fix, here is a snip of how the valve should be setup in the idle control drop box. on the MS2pnp the idle valve polarity needs to be inverted, as of now your valve is slamming open [on yours the valve sees 10% but opens to 90%] the settings below will fix the issue.
MS2PNP idle valve settings.PNG

EDIT: leave the car in open loop idle 'warm up for now until you get the basics down'