1988 turbo 331 TW heads mspnp2

It feels good... and I test drive and fix cars for a living. We can put this on pause after I log the latest tune. I'll try to get a longer drive.

I can see some areas that need a little work... so we'll keep it going a bit. I want to wire the fans and stuff in. Is there a way to see the clutch signal in Tuner Studio. There is an input for it on the box itself... can't remember if it pulls it off the factory harness on mspnp2, or if I need to splice it and wire it up ? I know it will read one just don't know if my ECU is actually seeing it.

• Sponsors (?)

yup, pin 10 watches the clutch switch [not sure if the MS2pnp watches it].... what do you want to do with it??

what needs work besides the obvious?? remember i am looking at a datastream

The obvious fuel trim stuff. Nothing ot of the ordinary going on. Looking at the WB I'd feel comfortable driving this thing anywhere. The only lean spots are really on down hills, coasting, off throttle, and clutch out. Normal condition for leaner burning. ( I think )

Did a quick search and found that it does use the factory clutch switch input from the 60 pin. The ovrr on the 26 pin is for an extra or added switch.

I just wanted to make sure I could use all the functions... launch control a and flat shifting. Neither of which I'll probably ever use.

I've been looking at so much information. I'd love to find a use for the four abs switch spots. If I was a computer guru I'd find a way to make a traction
control box. The module would have to recognize wheel spin difference and trigger an input into the switch table input. The sn95 abs module is stand alone. I'm sure there's a way to take the module off the hydraulic solenoid pack. It has to send out a signal to cut the abs light on when it sees wheel slip. I don't need it while braking...just when on the throttle.

I'll have to do more research on that. There's one available for MS3 that utilizes 2 wheel speed sensors.

The obvious fuel trim stuff. Nothing ot of the ordinary going on. Looking at the WB I'd feel comfortable driving this thing anywhere. The only lean spots are really on down hills, coasting, off throttle, and clutch out. Normal condition for leaner burning. ( I think )

Did a quick search and found that it does use the factory clutch switch input from the 60 pin. The ovrr on the 26 pin is for an extra or added switch.

I just wanted to make sure I could use all the functions... launch control a and flat shifting. Neither of which I'll probably ever use.

I've been looking at so much information. I'd love to find a use for the four abs switch spots. If I was a computer guru I'd find a way to make a traction
control box. The module would have to recognize wheel spin difference and trigger an input into the switch table input. The sn95 abs module is stand alone. I'm sure there's a way to take the module off the hydraulic solenoid pack. It has to send out a signal to cut the abs light on when it sees wheel slip. I don't need it while braking...just when on the throttle.

I'll have to do more research on that. There's one available for MS3 that utilizes 2 wheel speed sensors.
Ms3 is setup for that, you can do all kinds of stuff the ms2 cant... trust me I have maxed the ms2 out and then some.

As for the lean conditions, anytime you lift the engine will (and should) go lean. Coasting with the clutch out (engine braking) will/should go lean. Totally normal.
Flat shift and launch control are easy to setup. Let me know after we get the car closer to d day and I will enable them. TFI wont work with spark cut well unfortunately.... we are not controlling the coil directly, just the signal the tfi gets.

Reactions: 1 user
Data logged with 2.0.7. Turned the boost up a little more. Really couldn't get a longer log. Toward the end of the log I was flagged down by a neighbor complaining of the multiple drives past their house. I, being the good neighbor, have parked the car until tonight….yup...tonight. lol

I saw about 5psi in the log. Still happy with the direction its going. Wish I had a longer log for you.

1538844557608.png

Attachments

• 2018-10-06_Dusty.Drive.LOG.2.0.7.msl
    5.2 MB · Views: 144
  • Dusty REV 2.0.7.msq
    117.4 KB · Views: 206
In the log I can see an area that needs some work. I'll post a little more info tomorrow. It's a little lean in one area in particular. Everytime the car hits that area in part throttle the afr drops to 16- 17. I'm going to try to fasten it up a little 1 increase at a time. It's only a 4 box area. I'll post everything that I do.

I know we're not done, Steve. I just feel a little bit more comfortable.

In the log I can see an area that needs some work. I'll post a little more info tomorrow. It's a little lean in one area in particular. Everytime the car hits that area in part throttle the afr drops to 16- 17. I'm going to try to fasten it up a little 1 increase at a time. It's only a 4 box area. I'll post everything that I do.

I know we're not done, Steve. I just feel a little bit more comfortable.
I see those area's as well, two of them are sustained lean spots, meaning that they just need more fuel added to them. Now that i have increased the aggressiveness of the EGO correction in the last tune revision You can watch the ego correction and get an idea of what is missing fuel, this is not 100% accurate however as the EGO is always playing catch-up to correct the issue. I also see that the Acceleration Enrichment needs work, it almost never activates during these small throttle adjustments.

Lets take a look at some different views from the datalog you posted....

This is a Scatter Plot view I like these to see how the engine is performing/used... On the left i have what I call the {engine operating range} If you zoom in you can see all the dots in the plot, this shows us the areas that the engine is using of the fuel map and what areas need the most resolution when building a comprehensive tune.
Now the view on the right is simple, A tune that is spot dead on will be a linear line from the bottom left to the top right.... If this plot has dots scattered all over then the tune needs significant work. Yours looks ok but notice how the line has a slight curve to it, this just wont do.... when this line is linear we will be done. This is a fun view to use to gauge the tune from.
Scott [dust rev2.0.7].PNG

This is called a Histogram, I have the same x and y axis loaded in as your fuel table. then i used ego1 as the z axis [z is the field you want to show in the boxes]..
some of these boxes show 104 7ect... that means the ego correction is adding 4% fuel to those areas on a consistent basis, this view averages the ego correction from the entire log file for each box. 100 means no correction and less than 100 means fuel was removed.
This is nice to use to quickly see what areas may need some adjustment.
Scott [dusty rev2.0.7] ego histo.PNG

This is the same view as above with your AFR on the Z axis. this is the averaged reading for each box from the log file. the boxes in green means the car was in that area often they have more 'hits' these numbers can be taken seriously, yellow is fewer hits and anything with a number but no color in the box ignore completely it may be based off of one reading.
Scott [dusty rev2.0.7] histo.PNG

I hope this info helps when looking at the log files.

Attachments

• Dusty REV 2.0.8.msq
    120.1 KB · Views: 216
That helps a lot. I'd been staying at the scatter plots but had no idea what it should look like. That histogram is really cool too. In my job I have to compare fuel trims and connections for diagnostic purposes.

I have knowledge of how everything works.... it's just putting the jig saw puzzle together that is a little confusing still.

Seeing the problem is simple.... solving the problem is the hard part. I guess some changes could be band aids like more or less fuel for a timing issue to achieve 14.7 afr. Knowing what to change is the hard part for me now. Tip in or acceleration enrichment never crossed my mind.

I've got to go over a couple things on the car. Boost only went to around 2psi. I think I may have a boost leak.... or my vacuum hose may be pinched behind the MS. The tires broke loose and it felt like it had a bit more power.

I really need to drive the car further. It's coming soon I hope.

Here's the log....

Attachments

• 2018-10-13_Dusty.wrm.up.LOG.2.0.8.msl
    3.1 MB · Views: 163
  • 2018-10-13_Dusty.LOG.2.0.8.msl
    4 MB · Views: 168
  • Dusty REV 2.0.8.msq
    120.1 KB · Views: 226
Logged it today with 2.0.8. It drove a little better than last time. The fans are working properly. Had the ole lady in the car....she says it sounds like a bike....smh Saw a little over 6psi....144.3kpa

Attachments

• Dusty REV 2.0.8.msq
    120.1 KB · Views: 181
  • 2018-10-14_Dusty.LOG2.2.0.8.msl
    2.7 MB · Views: 160
here ya go man, we are 'fairly' close at this point.... its still only 85% in my opinion but my hands are tied for the main fuel tuning.... I made some startup and warmup changes.

Attachments

• Dusty REV 2.0.9.msq
    119.8 KB · Views: 203
Thanks, Steve. I made the histogram and have been reviewing the last log. Is getting dark earlier... but my headlights work. Lol

Neighbors will just have to deal with it. In the next couple weeks I'll get tags for it.

Got a chance to log the car. The ambient air was 50 degrees. Had to restart the car at start up. Had some bucking while driving. I'm sure its related to the cool temps and probably some stuff I'm not skilled enough to find. The histogram looked pretty dead on. I didn't go into boost.

Attachments

• 2018-10-18_Dusty.Driving.LOG.2.0.9.msl
    4.7 MB · Views: 143
  • Dusty REV 2.0.9.msq
    119.8 KB · Views: 200
the idle valve is fighting me, I am attempting to get rid of that rpm spike then dip on startup. Looks like the bucking is low speed related and caused by the more aggressive AE settings i put in, simple adjustment.

Reactions: 1 user