King Cobra Build in Oregon

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

I installed a 120mph speedo and a v8 tach and the pointers were mismatched. They are metal. I cleaned mine with alcohol on a cotton ball then repainted them with reflective paint for gauge pointers. I used this brand in red but here is a link for orange.

Amazon product ASIN B0031VVID8View: https://www.amazon.com/ORANGE-Needle-instrument-cluster-gauges/dp/B0031VVID8

Here is white needle paint.

Cool, thanks! Wasn't sure if the speedo and tach were plastic or metal. That helps! :nice:

Finally having time for the stereo 8 Track installation. It seems neither of the players I have work. As mentioned before way more expensive to repair then I am willing to pay. I will still look for a working one, but for now I am moving on. I have a black face and silver face radio. thinking the silver will look better as most back then were silver. Still need to repair the massive hole in the dash. My secret audio system is from my display. I sold these at car shows. Tested it yesterday. Found a bunch of CDs still in the player. Wondered where they had gone..... The display is, as shown, very small. Just need to figure out where to put it without having it look odd AND being able to read the display.... It is remote controlled so don't really need to have it somewhere I can reach. Comes with an amp. 4 X 35. Just enough power. Monday I am leaving for a 10 day vacation. Wife has a very stressful job so she wants to go on another cruise....this time to the Panama Canal. So all my projects get to sit for a while. Then the holidays then the Bowl season is upon us............GO OREGON DUCKS! Have enough points on my CC to get an airplane ticket for the PAC 12 Champ game in Vegas..... Cheers.

Attachments

• Black 2.jpg
    Black 2.jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Silver 2.jpg
    Silver 2.jpg
    494.1 KB · Views: 81
  • CD Tuner.jpg
    CD Tuner.jpg
    491.7 KB · Views: 86
  • CD Changer.jpg
    CD Changer.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 77
  • CD Amp.jpg
    CD Amp.jpg
    421.9 KB · Views: 89
Hello again. I have returned from our cruise thru the Panama Canal. It's still there working fine. Picked up parts I had power coated black before I left. Must say they look good. Also had an aluminum battery box done. Finally got my new heads today. Purchased from a company in Fresno Cal. Found them on ebay. Hope to start working on my engine in January. Need to get back to wiring next week. Spending this weekend in Las Vegas going to the PAC 12 Championship game.......GO OREGON DUCKS. Game on Friday night on ESPN. My wife and I will be wearing yellow so look for us.....We will wave. I also have a plastic yellow duck hat... Just think of a big rubber duckie for the bathtub with stuff stuck into it with flashing LED lights.............Been seen on TV. At the Rose Bowl and on the old TV show about Southwest Airlines.....Wishing everyone a most blessed and safe holiday season beginning this weekend and throughout the month.

Attachments

• A Door Handles.jpg
    A Door Handles.jpg
    453.7 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: 2 users
Back from Las Vegas and the PAC 12 championship game......Oregon got whipped by Utah. Wife went into hysteria and stopped breathing during the 4th quarter. Finally got her breath this morning as she had to go back to work......Doing better now but I am keeping an eye on her. Now for good stuff. Finally got my upholstery set. Took front seats and new covers to upholstery shop today. Hope to have them back in March. Don't need them until then anyway.Was told when I called they are so far behind in work they don't think my seats will be ready until March. But was told they always have times between jobs or waiting for parts to work on projects like this. installing front speakers into the door panels and large rear speakers into the rear panels. I bought a bunch of high stereo wiring from a Radio Shack when they were closing stores. Offered $5 each for some amp install wire kits. Got three kits for $5 total. Went back and got more stuff.....:jester: Hope to have my 8 track installed and wiring for the secret audio done by the end of the week. Then starting the wiring for the dash board and engine gauges. Then the engine. I seem to have a bunch of extra parts now. Just found a 300 watt new stereo amp. Free to anyone who needs it.

Last edited:
Free amp whoo who!

I'm seriously considering trying to talk ya into wiring the 8 track ~ get this ~ Mono!:coff:

Reactions: 1 user
Can not get any of the three i have to work properly. don't want to send $500 to have it worked on with no warranty longer then 6 months. I really want to get at least one to work, but can not find anyone local to work on them. Still looking.....

Can not get any of the three i have to work properly. don't want to send $500 to have it worked on with no warranty longer then 6 months. I really want to get at least one to work, but can not find anyone local to work on them. Still looking.....
I wouldn't worry about it too much. I remember when they came out and they only lasted about 6 months. The tapes sometimes lasted 6 days.

• Haha
True. My 79's cassette player lasted about 6 months. I was stationed in Germany at the time. Had a hard time getting it repaired. Then I was sent back to the states for a few weeks training. Took the stereo out of the Mustang and took it to the Ford dealer near the base for repair. Had to explain how I bought it in Germany bring new from Ford. Got it repaired. Took the Bee Gees CD that was stuck in it and smashed it..........

True. My 79's cassette player lasted about 6 months. I was stationed in Germany at the time. Had a hard time getting it repaired. Then I was sent back to the states for a few weeks training. Took the stereo out of the Mustang and took it to the Ford dealer near the base for repair. Had to explain how I bought it in Germany bring new from Ford. Got it repaired. Took the Bee Gees CD that was stuck in it and smashed it..........
A CD in a cassette player, that’s a problem.

• Winner
Happy New Years to all. Hope all are doing well so far this year. Wife starting her third year working from home. Hopes to beable to go into the office 2/3 times a week starting next week. Wife happy because KFC now has fake chicken. (Taste fake) Finally found time to start working on the 78. Bad news, is i now have arthritis in my right hip along with a pinched nerve in my lower back which makes my feet numb. Who said getting old is fun. Anyway have a very large bottle of Aleve in the glove box area of the Mustang......kinda works. Lots of doctor appointments. Finally finished installing the 8 track today. Tried to get it to work and it does not. Did get the dial to light up. About $500 to have it repaired. Instead, used the money to buy the rear window louver. Going to just stick a tape in it at shows and pretend it works.....kinda like my hip.... Did find out about tires. Went to discount tires today to get a price. Not bad. All four mounted/balanced for $567. no sales tax here in Oregon. They just tax our pay and property as much as they can. Getting the BF Goodrich T/A with raised white letters. Fronts will be 195/60/R15, rears 205/60/R15 Rears are what I have now, Fronts on now are 195/50/R15. About the same. unless someone knows these will not work, i hope to order them next month after polishing the rims. While at the tire shop, think I found someone to buy the Pace Car. Coming over Thursday for a look. That's about all the updates for now. Dropping the rear axle tomorrow to paint it yellow and cover the leaf springs with POR in black. Tried doing some of this while installed, but just made a mess with the POR dripping all over the place. Can install the new brake lines and such on rear axle while its out. Will drain oil and put in fresh while it's out . rear seals are new according to the guy I bought if from. New air shocks. Will paint them yellow also. Cheers.

Been working on the rear axle and brake lines. Painted the rear axle yellow and installed new brake lines. Painted sway bar and such black with POR. Painted air shocks yellow with black. Hope to have this installed tomorrow. At least hanging on the body. Also installed new brake line from the rear to front. Start on front suspension next. Tried to take the connection between rack and pinion and steering wheel shaft, but the bolt seems to be stripped at the input shaft end. I think I have this written correctly. any ideas how to get that off???

Attachments

• Axle Ready.jpg
    Axle Ready.jpg
    467 KB · Views: 50
  • Rear Axle Off.jpg
    Rear Axle Off.jpg
    537.4 KB · Views: 58
Been working on the rear axle and brake lines. Painted the rear axle yellow and installed new brake lines. Painted sway bar and such black with POR. Painted air shocks yellow with black. Hope to have this installed tomorrow. At least hanging on the body. Also installed new brake line from the rear to front. Start on front suspension next. Tried to take the connection between rack and pinion and steering wheel shaft, but the bolt seems to be stripped at the input shaft end. I think I have this written correctly. any ideas how to get that off???
Do you mean the bolts at the rag joint? Or the bolt that clamps the joint onto the splined shaft at the rack? I do know that the bolt at the top of the intermediate shaft holds it to the steering shaft through a notch in the steering shaft, but the lower bolt is just a clamping bolt as I recall.

1645101823575__01.png
(Stolen from FEP member mrriggs)

I'm assuming you're talking about that bolt. It should only need to be broken loose for the shaft to separate from the rack. Of course it will need some persuasion, but it should separate without having to remove the bolt. It's probably rust-welded so soaking some penetrating oil wouldn't hurt.

Now, if you weren't able to get it broken loose..... I'm not above cutting these things. :D Or maybe heating it with a torch could help. I don't remember there being any Loctite on mine, but it's been a long time and not out of the question so heat might just work.

Do you mean the bolts at the rag joint? Or the bolt that clamps the joint onto the splined shaft at the rack? I do know that the bolt at the top of the intermediate shaft holds it to the steering shaft through a notch in the steering shaft, but the lower bolt is just a clamping bolt as I recall.

1645101823575__01.png
(Stolen from FEP member mrriggs)

I'm assuming you're talking about that bolt. It should only need to be broken loose for the shaft to separate from the rack. Of course it will need some persuasion, but it should separate without having to remove the bolt. It's probably rust-welded so soaking some penetrating oil wouldn't hurt.

Now, if you weren't able to get it broken loose..... I'm not above cutting these things. :D Or maybe heating it with a torch could help. I don't remember there being any Loctite on mine, but it's been a long time and not out of the question so heat might just work.

Mine was stripped. It's a fine thread if I remember correctly. Difficult to find a replacement. But after doing everything suggested above, it finally came out. While in there replace the dampener portion of the rag joint.

thanks for the information. That is the bolt. I have begun spraying with penetrating oil. Will begin tapping on it to break up the rust and help oil soak the bolt. Will give it time to soak in while removing the shocks/A frame and and springs for replacement with coil over. Then will do this as I need to replace the rack and pinion. Power steering pump was filled with water when I got the Mustang.

Still have my 79 Pace Car for sale. Folks come by to see it; then see how much work and walk away. When the II is done I will start back on the Pace Car then complete the build then sell.............price will go up of course. Enjoy the weekend coming up. I get to drive my wife to Bandon Oregon Saturday for a business trip. Get a free lunch and dinner......

Rear Axle has been attached. :banana: Also installed new brake line from back to front. New air shocks painted and almost installed. Just need to attach to axle. Then front stuff. As a side note. Had to drive my wife to Bandon Oregon for a meeting with someone she is doing so work for. Instead of sitting around during this I was taken on a tour of the property......lots of it and many old burns/shops. And this 1948 Ford pickup jumped out at me. No really it did. Been sitting there for 25 years. Has bad generator so why fix it???? found out it may become a flower pot in front of someone's business. Truck is complete down to the really old lic plate and OEM flathead. So, if the underside is as good as the rest I want to get this. Just need to convince my wife this is a good deal........Also found a 1971 Thunderbird with a 429 thunderbird engine. Thought these were bringing in good money. Found out not anymore. Body in good shape, but front is kinda ugly.....no real market for that year. Also a 35 Chevy, complete. Just walked pass it.

Attachments

• Axle Installed.jpg
    Axle Installed.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Truck Side.jpg
    Truck Side.jpg
    575.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Flathead.jpg
    Flathead.jpg
    510.2 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: 2 users