Engine LOOSE ROCKER ARMS!!HELP!

Likely the oil pump shaft has dropped (hopefully) down into the oil pan. Yes you will be pulling the engine. I have heard of people that claim to have fished it out of the oil drain plug hole then used a vacuum line attached to one end of the shaft to insert it back into the pump from the top but I'm suspect of this method.
How mechanically inclined are you?
I'm pretty mechanically inclined I'd say lol im pretty sure I heard it hit the pan .

• Sponsors (?)

I've never been able to fish one out of the pan but sure worth a try
Once you get the intake manifold off you might be able to fish it out with a real good flex magnet (that's what I try to do)
You are not alone those oil pump drives pull up and out of there with the distributor sometimes and then let loose when you get it halfway out
Bummer days
You can do this
Go fishing

Sorry 007, I don't see any way of extracting that from under the intake, I'm looking at the lifter valley of my engine and no way.
Some here have pulled the pan from under the car, this requires dropping the K member down enough to get the oil pan past the oil pump. The engine has to be suspended from top. Very doable.

I believe I fished mine out thru the small hole where the camshaft distributor gear is
My distress was back in about 1982 when that happened to mine
I do not remember having to pull the pan
My block is a 69 and may have a bigger chunk missing (hole) by the cam gear
What a candidate for a 2 piece oil pan or a removable crossmember!

I believe I fished mine out thru the small hole where the camshaft distributor gear is
My distress was back in about 1982 when that happened to mine
I do not remember having to pull the pan
My block is a 69 and may have a bigger chunk missing (hole) by the cam gear
What a candidate for a 2 piece oil pan or a removable crossmember!
Good lord you're confusing! If you fished the shaft out from the top of the engine then it did not fall into the oil pan.
And the K member on a fox body ford is removable.

Now you are confusing
You going to have him pull the k member to get the pan off?
The shaft fell down there a way and can be pulled out thee same way

If anybody here has extracted a oil pump drive shaft that has fallen into the oil pan from the top of a sbf engine either from the lifter valley or the distributor hole,, or any other way without pulling the oil pan please post up. I'm always interested in finding new ways to do things.
@Mustang5L5 @nickyb @limp @Noobz347 .?
As for pulling the engine vrs lowering the K member, I would pull the engine, it will give you the opportunity to check freeze (core) plugs and paint the block, if it's already pretty and you feel the freeze plugs are ok and you don't mind getting oil dripped in your hair (true story) lowering the k member is a viable option.
Now pulling the engine could lead down the 'while I'm here I should fix this' path. But that could be a good thing.

Reactions: 1 user
I dropped a extension with a 1/4” socket down in one while priming the oil pump years ago (hence why I tape it together now). I got it out by dropping the oil pan down on the cross member. There was enough room between the engine and pan that I was able to fish it out.

There's a hole straight in to the pan when the timing cover is removed.

Dropping the k member is pretty easy but will have you removing 21 bolts / nuts. 8 k member bolts, 4 strut bolts, 4 caliper bolts, 2 engine mount nuts, 2 sway bar end links, and one steering shaft bolt at the rack. You'd have to remove the coil springs first.

I'm not pulling the whole engine just for an oil pan. That's what they make engine support bars for. Fighting old exhaust bolts and spilling transmission fluid everywhere isn't in the cards.

I'd rather pull the timing cover. You run the risk of running into the broken water pump bolt curse though.

The oil pump spins counter clockwise. Turning slow it feels like it isn't doing anything. Put a drill on it and watch a oil pressure gauge. If that needle moves the shaft is where it's supposed to be. If you can't see it down in the hole it's in the pan. In a posted picture I saw it in there.

• Agree
The timing cover thing is a good option. Didn't think of that.
All this sounds intimidating, yank'n the engine is what I would do.
I still say you ain't getting it out from the lifter valley or the distributor hole if it dropped into the oil pan, that was my point to 007.
now I hope we haven't scared @Dsain90GT away.