Build Thread My 1986 T-top Build - Lasting Memories

You actually jarred my memory when you brought up the tire search problem. When I changed the wheels over on the red car, I was looking for a taller tire, because I wanted more sidewall between the road and the rim. 18's were out for me for that reason.

A 315 18 is a very limited size, with most of the offerings being in the 30 height ratio..(read future broken/bent rim) and are mostly either very 'spensive or rated for Xcross or road racing. Hell, for that matter the 315 size is a tough width to fit across the board.
Doesn't matter whether you go 17/18/19.

I stayed with 17's because I found a Nitto that fit my search criteria. (Not gonna apply to you either cause I wanted a really tall, weany assed 275/50/17)

So.....325's? 335's? or fall back to the plethora of "me too" 275's..............What's it gonna be?
I think I'll get 325/30/19's. That will provide about a four inch sidewall. Maybe 255's on the front with 18" wheels.

• Sponsors (?)

Are you going to run coil overs up front? Typically coil overs stick out more forcing you to run a wheel spacer to avoid rubbing or a narrower wheel and tire combo. Some people run a shorter spring to avoid contact but shorter springs (8") have higher spring rates which can reduce ride quality but is good for corner carving. I'm still not sure what your purpose is for the car.

I have 18"x8" up front with MM coil overs with 10" springs and a 235 wide tire. I haven't had the car aligned yet but I think I have half an inch clearance. I might be able to run a 245 tire. I have the BFG Gforce tires which run wider than others. My 245's have about a 10" wide tread width :D

Reactions: 1 user
Are you going to run coil overs up front? Typically coil overs stick out more forcing you to run a wheel spacer to avoid rubbing or a narrower wheel and tire combo. Some people run a shorter spring to avoid contact but shorter springs (8") have higher spring rates which can reduce ride quality but is good for corner carving. I'm still not sure what your purpose is for the car.

I have 18"x8" up front with MM coil overs with 10" springs and a 235 wide tire. I haven't had the car aligned yet but I think I have half an inch clearance. I might be able to run a 245 tire. I have the BFG Gforce tires which run wider than others. My 245's have about a 10" wide tread width :D
I have strange coil overs up front already. Good info for me, thank you.

I wasn't sure if 255's would fit or not, 245's would be good though.

The purpose of doby is a cool looking dd. I want to be able to drive to the east coast next spring for mustang week, or some other big event out there.

We have a large Shelby meet here in Tulsa in July, but I think I would be kidding myself that the car will be ready by then. It'll be close though. Depends if I can afford those 325's for the back in time!

The purpose of doby is a cool looking dd. I want to be able to drive to the east coast next spring for mustang week, or some other big event out there.

We have a large Shelby meet here in Tulsa in July, but I think I would be kidding myself that the car will be ready by then. It'll be close though. Depends if I can afford those 325's for the back in time!

Tell ya what... I about choked when i saw the price of those tires new. You can pick them up off ebay for a fuzz under two bills, though.. If you don't mind running cooper tires.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335821607&icep_item=222014972294

If you come to the east coast next year I'll see you at mustang week. [emoji106]

Myrtle Beach is a great vacation spot. Lots of family stuff to do....just don't stand too close to the street by the exit from the show. Lol

Myrtle Beach is a great vacation spot. Lots of family stuff to do....just don't stand too close to the street by the exit from the show. Lol
That's right, it's at Myrtle Beach. I went down there back in the mid eighties while I was involved with some training in the army. Yeah, that's a start.

That's right, it's at Myrtle Beach. I went down there back in the mid eighties while I was involved with some training in the army. Yeah, that's a start.
I'm running a 245/45/17 tire up front with mm coilover 14" spring/strange strut. I'm still 4 lug though and have no rub issues but it's close. Just a fwiw
And you have an '86......hum......thanks Todd

I want Doby to look like this! .

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbKCs-iaC2-tNcWDB3xOH1waWc0FK7_VRp0sQFA-G1Q23BAW6s.jpg

No wait....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9r_WYK1z0pH-YBjaipLv17sBg6ESgxrly9KKkA1keVqw2AwJT.jpg

No no no, that's not it....

107797.png

Damn....

64466733.jpg

There... that's it.

and this

Kick you in the nuts too. :intimidatingtoughguysmiley:

Still not my favorite but doesn't look bad. I guess I like a little more fat on the bottom. :cool:
X2. I personally would run as much tire as I could(sidewall and width) but I'm a drag racing fan. Being able to carve corners has never done much for me compared to straight line acceleration. Also have found that the more sidewall you can run the softer the ride.

But I do like the 18/19 stagger. Looks good to me. I think a 17/18 would look better though(or just 18's)
The guy that owned that car said that he had lots of rubbing up front and would prefer a smaller wheel up front too. I like performance and ride comfort so having some meat on rims is a must which would be nearly impossible with a 19" rim unless you jack up your car 4x4 style

Reactions: 1 users