Progress Thread Project Silver Fox - 3rd time’s a charm

6E651CC2-428C-4DEC-87BD-3125CB6E6A41.jpeg

Got the v2 all finished up for a friend. Just waiting on the 6 rib belt for the serpentine, the blower 8 rib I got a few mins ago. Had to do some engineering on the tensioner bracket since he doesn’t have ac and his brackets and pulleys are aftermarket.

14C6C015-EEA2-4B7A-85D0-DBA86093895B.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

919CB2A0-937B-4315-9BBA-C8DFCEAD1513.jpeg

Got the alternator cable ran, and put the hoses and everything back so I could check everything for leaks. I didn’t have a thermostat housing gasket, so I just did a form in place with some 90 minute gasket maker and it worked out well. Not the first time I’ve had to go that route lol.

Also ended up replacing the harness for the alt since the one that was in it was the original one from my old 96 mustang

7B5302A1-0C25-4645-9F4F-23298EC23A61.jpeg

Poor girl had been through some :poo:.

It is kind of weird not seeing and pulleys or anything when you first look on the engine bay. Should direct attention to the blower.

I gotta say the electric water pump does make it super nice for filling the engine with coolant. Since I just put a restrictor in, I can just turn the key on and fill it up. No need to wait for a thermostat to open up.

For anyone wondering, the belt length for just an alternator with a sn95 low mount bracket is 28.5 inches.

When the belt comes in tomorrow I’ll get it started up, make sure everything stays nice and cool with the new electric pump, and then give the engine a nice cleaning with the pressure washer. All the old brackets hid all the grime.

Reactions: 2 users
ED3A7D11-B9C5-4224-84F7-C8DD2C3983F9.jpeg
B3DC2D94-F14A-4940-85EC-D21B681D0D23.jpeg
89709C89-AEC8-4A7B-BA7C-C0DE75E38FDE.jpeg
5BB8B73F-40A2-4119-A5FB-2BFAA2687FCC.jpeg
AB896364-F05D-4063-8324-C38A6946A931.jpeg
0C623AC4-095E-46C7-B550-BA9ED5BBD7E6.jpeg
C13A7A18-25CD-4194-A7E3-9A1E4183702B.jpeg

Finally got the car on some stands and started with the actual install of the blower. Some good, some bad. The first thing was getting the bumper off to make intercooler mounting possible. I purchased a tubular bumper support from MAF, and the holes didn’t line up. Well one did at least :rolleyes:. Nothing a little slotting with a burr didn’t handle. Then began the fitting of pulleys, as well as the removal of the overflow reservoir I had. It will be replaced with a smaller one from motion.

When I went to mount the crank pulley, one of the threads of the innovators west balancer pulled right out. They have about the same structural integrity as a bowl of mashed potatoes, so off to the store(s) I went to track down a helicoil kit. A hardware store and 3 parts stores later I was able to find the 3/8-16 one I needed. So that was taken care of.

Naturally the belts I have are either too long, like way too long, or a little too short. So tomorrow I will need to call motion industries and get another $100 belt coming from speed control. Cog systems are not for the faint of heart.

On a plus side, the motion race works dual catch can setup is very nice, much better than the moroso one it is replacing. I gotta say all the things I’ve bought from them are nice. The matching coolant overflow reservoir will get installed tomorrow, which is replacing a joes racing one. The billet construction really is awesome.

With any luck tomorrow I should have the intercooler mounted, as well as the charge piping done. Then comes cutting a big ass hole in the fender for the inlet pipe, as well as moving some wiring and sensors around to make room.

Reactions: 1 users
I think it looks way low too :shrug:
She’s definitely on the low side, and nothing is set in stone yet. I’ll set it back on the ground before finalizing everything.

One of the issues is the driver side charge pipe. It was on a different car before, but this one has the engine mounted lower, as well as a slightly different intercooler so it complicates things.

Reactions: 1 user
7F5246EE-BD89-45B0-967C-408D00228840.png
D0449C05-0DAB-4DDF-81A8-1C49B45E2C52.jpeg

So a lot of f1 setups I’ve seen on fox bodies have the filter element in the engine bay, and just use something like a 30 or so degree elbow to mount it. I really wanted to get the filter out of the engine bay, so I took a look at different pipes and landed on this one from spectre. It ended up working perfect. After doing some cutting to the fender apron, I got it to fit, and got a good size air filter in the fender well.

Just need to smooth out the cut and make it look right, then paint the bare metal and cover it with some caterpillar grommet.

• Winner
5FDF92D2-7066-49F5-824A-5B1EC5EF4492.jpeg

Man, finally got a belt that isn’t too long, or too short. 1520-8m50 seems to be good, but damn is it tough to get on. It’ll have to work though since there’s really nothing readily available between a 1520 and a 1552 - and a 1552 is waaaay too long. Hopefully it loosens up a bit when I run it in.

Spent most of the day moving some wires from the big ass hole I had to cut for the blower inlet. Also got the piping all tightened down, but it’ll all come off eventually to get welded together. Couplers are going to be temporary on all but a few joints.

Was hoping to start it today, but just didn’t happen. All that’s left is to move the oil and fuel pressure sensors (which aren’t mandatory for start up), finish making my switched 12v bus bar, and to put the radiator back.

Kind of hit a snag when I pulled the oil filter adaptor off to clean and lube the orings for final assembly when I noticed the oring on the banjo bolt was pinched. Napa didn’t have it and the local Eaton store was closed. Luckily the ace hardware a few miles down has a good selection.

I honestly can’t wait to take the car outside and clean the engine bay. All the cutting, grinding, and cussing have wreaked havoc on it.

Reactions: 5 users
Had an issue with the belt walking forward. The issue seems to stem from the belt being fairly tight, so I couldn’t really use the tensioner like I wanted out of fear of making it too tight. So it was on there, but didn’t have a lot of force from the tensioner itself. It moved forward and rubbed the fan a little, no serious damage though.

Ran a straight edge along the pulleys and they’re perfect so it wasn’t that.

3EF3055E-1A6C-44EE-9B74-CD8BB16F9651.jpeg

Also bought a little tube bead roller off Amazon to bead a couple pieces I had to trim. Worked really good on the test piece I did.

F710E320-CC8D-4E12-AED5-F1A287F2CFCB.jpeg

7A71FB16-3D22-4E56-B550-93FCC33F2C3B.jpeg

Had an issue with the belt walking forward. The issue seems to stem from the belt being fairly tight, so I couldn’t really use the tensioner like I wanted out of fear of making it too tight. So it was on there, but didn’t have a lot of force from the tensioner itself. It moved forward and rubbed the fan a little, no serious damage though.

Ran a straight edge along the pulleys and they’re perfect so it wasn’t that.

3EF3055E-1A6C-44EE-9B74-CD8BB16F9651.jpeg

Also bought a little tube bead roller off Amazon to bead a couple pieces I had to trim. Worked really good on the test piece I did.

F710E320-CC8D-4E12-AED5-F1A287F2CFCB.jpeg

7A71FB16-3D22-4E56-B550-93FCC33F2C3B.jpeg
link to the bead roller please

67F66082-C3CE-467D-B3A5-6229BADF07EC.jpeg

Have proper length belt now so the tensioner works as it should. Belt is tracking nice.

Sort of an interesting thing, I noticed the car started making less vacuum than normal. Usually with this cam it’ll pull about 10in hg or so, but was down to like 5, felt sluggish too when I took it out and made some boost, and has been creeping in temp at idle for extended periods of time.

I decided to put a timing light on it and it appears the distributor had worked loose and retarded itself like 15* or so, it was almost at 0* at idle. Put it back where it should be and the car hauls ass now. Made 8.5lb of boost and it feels like a 200hp shot of nitrous, but all the time.