Progress Thread Project Silver Fox - 3rd time’s a charm

• Sponsors (?)

50DCFEDE-F138-411B-BA88-A771169FB687.jpeg
849E60F9-8E81-48E4-BB3A-885143701B15.jpeg

Not a mustang, but something we’re finishing up here we’re all kind of proud of. Very few ls swapped series 62s of these years (second running one I believe). Was cool to be a part of this.

Reactions: 2 users
So,apparently turbo blankets are designed to keep the heat IN the turbo. I didn't know this. I purchased an ebay special. Does it work like it's supposed too? Idk,the turbo is still hot after running it,but it won't burn the crap out of your hand either.
Some are touted as helping spool time by “keeping the heat in the turbine.” I’m sure this is bs, but the cooler external temperature is what I’d be after. The housing gets hot as hell after a pull.

I notice amazon has some for like $30. Not sure on the quality of those lol.

So,apparently turbo blankets are designed to keep the heat IN the turbo. I didn't know this. I purchased an ebay special. Does it work like it's supposed too? Idk,the turbo is still hot after running it,but it won't burn the crap out of your hand either.
Keeping the engine bay cooler is a good thing, but keeping the exhaust gasses hot until after the turbo should help performance. A bit simplified, as a volume of a gas cools, it will loose volume. Then it also slows down the rest of the way out the exhaust. And a slow wind does not have as much energy to spin your windmill or turbo blades.
Hot exhaust also works better in the catslytic convertors, assuming they are still on the car.

I’ve heard the theory about the blankets helping spool time, but I doubt it does anything in practice. Would be an interesting a to b test

My turbo blanket from On3 is very nice and has been put on and removes a bunch over these last few years. If I needed another one I'd buy one from them again.

My turbo blanket from On3 is very nice and has been put on and removes a bunch over these last few years. If I needed another one I'd buy one from them again.
I just checked out their blankets after you mentioned them, and they look good for the price.

Reactions: 1 user
CFEC5A62-619E-48CF-B8FA-1DA96B3D1428.jpeg

So the whole turbo plan changed….

I found a good deal on a cog setup for a f1r so I pulled the trigger on it. Just to find out we’ve got some complications:

1. My sn95 fan setup won’t work, ain’t no way with the cog pulley. $1,075 later I have a brushless dual 12in setup from delta pag on the way. That one hurt.

2. I do have a low mount alternator bracket that I’ll be using from Aaron Price, but since I no longer have an idler on the driver side (I had a grooved idler after going through about a dozen different ones) I’ll need to do an electric water pump with an idler so I can just run the 6 rib belt to the alternator and tension it with a heim joint. Unless someone knows of a standard rotation water pump that will work with a 94/95 timing cover. I thought of changing to a fox style timing cover, but space is already at such a premium on the fwd side, I think I may stay with the sn95 cover. I will wait until I get the fan setup to see exactly how much room I have though.

3. I have some silicone couplers around the garage, but I need a pretty tight one to clear the shock tower where the inlet is on the blower. Since I intend on drawing air from the fender well and not using a turbo guard. On top of having to move almost all my wiring and the remote sensor mounts I have.

Plus a plethora of other :poo: that’s guaranteed not to work lol.

All things considered, I’m surprised the pulleys actually line up for the cog setup. I figured I’d need to space the crank pulley, but it just worked.

I don’t know if there are a lot of foxes out there running sn95 front accessories with a renegade style blower setup so it should be interesting.

Reactions: 1 users
F43D4737-71E7-4DA3-B8D4-4DA1F711D861.png
9E7FA5F5-2012-4E0C-9F0D-D5D3BB5D9B6B.jpeg

Got the 54 tooth street pulley in, next to it is the 46 tooth party pulley. Street should be good for about 8-10psi of boost, and the other one should be about 18lbs at around 7000rpm or so. Also got the car drawings in from delta pag for the fan setup. With any luck in about 2 weeks it should be here.

Also, I made the decision to get a sn95 55gpm water pump from meziere since I already have the alternator relocation bracket for the 94/95. The only thing I’ll be driving on the serpentine is going to be that, and it’ll give me a good bit more space than changing over to a fox style timing cover, and crown Vic standard rotation water pump.

F0EF9EAC-FBDE-401E-AAA8-93834D9F3022.jpeg

After a month of waiting the meziere pump came in today. Just waiting on the fan setup from delta and I’ll start with the blower install.

58D0348E-3567-493F-9758-E3FB4BFB4773.jpeg

Also, scored a vortech v2 si for a friends 87 so I’ll be getting that on this week as long as we don’t hit any snags. Another pimpxs powered car.

• Hell Yeah!
78F0ACB6-0A7A-43AD-A293-9A834C0A6B60.jpeg
769CFE73-89E2-4F41-9988-C30332DC6C70.jpeg

Fans and shroud from delta PAG came in today. Gotta say they’re very nice, worth the money IMO. Most important thing is they’ll clear the crank cog with room to spare. Might even be able to get a belt on without removing the head unit cog lol.

The fans move a ton of air, like double of a comparable spal 12in fan, but they pull the current to show for it. The old sn95 fan would pull 32a when it was running at idle and only lowered voltage by about .3 or so and only brought the idle down 50 rpm or so. These will kill 1.3v and drag the idle down 150rpm+. Had to put more iac duty in when the fans are on.

Started on the alternator relocation and the electric water pump. The Aaron price alternator relocation kit is very nice, really brings it down low. All that’s left to do is extend the wires and find a belt, as well as put the restrictor in the water neck.

I think I may have the shortest serpentine belt on the planet lol.

32F673EA-59B9-449B-A582-0C5482BF4A4F.jpeg

Disregard the upper idler pulley, it will be gone, along with the whole bracket on the drivers side.