Build Thread My Never Ending 89 Notch Thread

• Sponsors (?)

So after about 5 hours today I called it a wrap .

The pass side header fits perfect . Driver side . Well it touches in some spots which I clearenced .

The issue now is that at the flange where the bolts go into the flange the tube is so close to the bolt more then half on each side you cannot get started because the bolt immediately wants to go sideways . So I either need to make a small dent in every primary tube at the flange or figure something else out . Frustrated is an understatement .

Last edited:
I have had to start all the bolts and slowly work my way around and tighten each one a turn or two at a time. Talk about a pita
That’s what I was attempting but these tubes are some big mofos . I might have to dent them . I finally said I had to call it a night .

Had the same problem with my 6228s. Nothing a bfh and an old socket extension cant handle. I also opened up the bolt holes in the flange to the next 1/32 up, and had to use arp bolts for the smaller head profile. I trashed the bolts that came with the headers, they were all the same 5/16 thread but some needed a 3/8 wrench and some a 10mm :shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
Had the same problem with my 6228s. Nothing a bfh and an old socket extension cant handle. I also opened up the bolt holes in the flange to the next 1/32 up, and had to use arp bolts for the smaller head profile. I trashed the bolts that came with the headers, they were all the same 5/16 thread but some needed a 3/8 wrench and some a 10mm :shrug:
Thought about that too

They call this hot rodding? Or so I am told . LOL

I cut down one shoulder as much as possible and it worked I was able to make the turn with the bolts on the header so I did a bunch more . Hopefully we’re in business .

C9587936-9F18-48B6-A1B8-FB5BE765C067.jpeg
FFDA90C7-4521-4E5A-B9DF-5558F6211FF4.jpeg

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users
What about socket head screws? Werent an option for me because of the tube routing (and the high port pattern) but iirc they worked fine with my bbk shorties on yhe standard pattern.
Don’t think they’ll fit , you have a link to the 5/16th bolts you mentioned ? I’m back from Florida from visiting family so time to get cracking

Apologies, they were kooks... the description for these is either wrong or they sent me the wrong parts.... there were actually 2 different bolt types in the bag one set had an allen head and was tapered. I will post the part number from my summit order but when i get home if i still have the bag i will post the number from it if its different.
KOK-SB-B60027

Apologies, they were kooks... the description for these is either wrong or they sent me the wrong parts.... there were actually 2 different bolt types in the bag one set had an allen head and was tapered. I will post the part number from my summit order but when i get home if i still have the bag i will post the number from it if its different.
KOK-SB-B60027
You da man !

Don’t think they’ll fit , you have a link to the 5/16th bolts you mentioned ? I’m back from Florida from visiting family so time to get cracking
5/16 thread, just so we're on the same page (highports are weird, the normal sbf stuff is 3/8 thread), theres not a "kit" for them I just got like 4 packs of five 5/16-18 by 3/4" long bolts from arp (through summit). Still use a 3/8 hex head iirc.

5/16 thread, just so we're on the same page (highports are weird, the normal sbf stuff is 3/8 thread), theres not a "kit" for them I just got like 4 packs of five 5/16-18 by 3/4" long bolts from arp (through summit). Still use a 3/8 hex head iirc.
Yeah I didnt realize you said highport at first , i have the normal 3/8 sbf stuff .

Update - headers are officially in and in place . Oil pan hits the rack so I ordered offset rack bushings . Pulled the rack out and knocked the bushings out Friday . Just waiting on the new ones . Then I took the advice of a friend and looked into my shift lever . Apparently Freddy brown silicones the end shut . His valve body must expose the lever to fluid where it normally wouldn’t be or something . So I pulled my new one out of the transmission . Sure enough it was open . So I right stuffed both sides and let it cure all weekend . Reinstalled it last night .

Last night I made a list of what needs to be done about a mile long . Started knocking away at it . Re did the wiring harness for my fans . Made the wiring harness for the trans cooler fan which will be piggy backed off the main fan relay . Each relay can handle a 70 amp load so no issue there and the trans fan has its own inline temp switch. Got the leash relay setup so now all I have to do is tie in the ground to the Holley and the ecu has control of the fans . Went through the msd wiring and got that all re sorted out .

A2A8D979-554B-44DE-9EF9-C777A809EA68.jpeg
1462BAD6-A662-4447-A97A-B734D19BB65C.jpeg
6D207AFF-88A9-4CBA-9E1F-CF92629CC02C.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users