The next "big" project for my Cobra

Adding a pic of the seat partially mounted. I need to jack the car to reach the inboard mounting locations.

X_vvH5g&tn=SN6Tb8VwpWx1RtaD&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Update: both seats are now installed. The passenger seat has a different bolt pattern for the manual seat track than the driver side had with the power track. I tried to take plenty of pics to illustrate everything....

Here is the piece that doubled as the riser and as the locating jig for the mounting holes. As you can see, it worked well. :)

IMG_20230214_112724.jpg

And the back side of the original seat. Notice the broken bolt on the left side. The right side also broke when I tried to remove that rail.

IMG_20230214_112758.jpg

Here you can see the newer track's hole locations are spaced differently. They're also too narrow to try to reuse them.

IMG_20230214_113500.jpg

IMG_20230214_113936.jpg

Here, the new seat's tracks have been removed and revealed multiple hole locations on the back side of the seat. The driver seat was completely different and I had to relocate all of the mounting holes. But as you can see, a pair of them lined up well with the II's seat tracks, I just had to drill them out in order to use the spacer pieces so the tracks would clear the framework.

IMG_20230214_114518.jpg

IMG_20230214_125403.jpg

After getting them mounted, I used my jig to double check the track's mounting stud locations and bolted it into the car.

IMG_20230214_130905.jpg

IMG_20230214_133001.jpg

Now, it's time for a serious bath and a test drive to confirm my wiring project is up to snuff. :nice:

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users
It does seem to be a little tight against the tunnel. I had a booklet of some kind stuffed between the original seat and the tunnel before I started and didn't remove it until I had the new seat in. It gave plenty of resistance when I pulled it from between the 2, but nothing ripped. I'd suspect that one might have to put in a little more effort if they wanted to adjust the seat, but I think it'll move. I also think that we're going to try a test drive this weekend - my girlfriend wanted me to get it washed so I could take her for a drive last night.

Screenshot_20230215-071535__01.jpg

I think I've found one of those mystical unicorns.....

It does seem to be a little tight against the tunnel. I had a booklet of some kind stuffed between the original seat and the tunnel before I started and didn't remove it until I had the new seat in. It gave plenty of resistance when I pulled it from between the 2, but nothing ripped. I'd suspect that one might have to put in a little more effort if they wanted to adjust the seat, but I think it'll move. I also think that we're going to try a test drive this weekend - my girlfriend wanted me to get it washed so I could take her for a drive last night.

I think I've found one of those mystical unicorns.....

And this is going to be a no-go now - went out to start the car and it won't start. It cranked 2 separate times I turned the key, then it wouldn't on the third try. I could smell some kind of hot electical component when I got back out to double check the battery connection, and the cables were a little warm. I checked the battery and it read 12.2v, then went ahead and tried jumping the solenoid with the key off to make sure there was no other kind of electrical load affecting anything, and the solenoid just clicked once. Looks like I'll be hunting for a new starter now.... anyone have any suggestions? In case you don't remember, I still run the II flywheel and bell housing. I'd kinda like to try a mini-starter of some sort this time around..... :shrug:

I’m thinking All the parts books are wrong at all the parts stores, the 10 tooth starter will damage your flywheel or flex plate.
A Mustang II with 302 and 141 tooth bell housing needs this 9 tooth drive.
Would be swapped onto a Ford 10 tooth starter of that era.

s-l1600-21.jpg
s-l1600-17.jpg

• Useful
You've brought up an aspect that I don't think has been explored in a long time - at least I don't remember it being mentioned anywhere. I did some more searching and found a couple threads that might be relevant.

In this thread, Gael mentioned that he counted his drive teeth and found that his had 9 teeth.

Then, a couple months later, he posted this thread and said that both his starter and a new mini starter that he went with had 10 teeth.

:confused:

Another couple of threads mentioned a couple of different things. First, there was this thread talking about the different cone depths.

Then, there's this thread which states in post #6 that the automatic flexplate has 141 teeth whereas the manual's flywheel has 148 teeth. :O_o:

https://stangnet.com/mustang-forums...rters-work-with-our-smaller-flywheels.502778/

Then, there's this one that mentions the gear pitch which makes a lot of sense if you think about it.

Then, finally, we have Matt's suggestion for using a late model Fox or SN95 starter when using a larger oil pan.

Now, it seems that most of the problems people have with starters concerns using them with the automatic's flexplate. In one of those linked threads someone made mention of having a manual and being able to get a starter that would work at any time. And, in my experience, I think that's most likely true. I don't remember having any of the problems that I see mentioned all over - but then again, I've not had an automatic transmission since the mid 90s. SO - what I think I might try is Matt's suggestion and go with a Fox starter. I know they're a little smaller than the stocker and shouldn't be some outrageous price compared to an aftermarket high torque mini. Looking at this guy here:

Amazon product ASIN B001O07M88
View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O07M88/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=APDXIEMX0ZAGX&psc=1
Looks like I'll be going through all of my steps again that I documented here. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Didn't you do a write up on changing the starter out a long time ago? When I had mine out a couple of years ago I just took it apart and replaced the brushes and cleaned up the comuntator. It's been working fine.

ElSuperPinto ran the PMGR starter for a '93 Mustang 5.0 for years with no issues. If you install one and it makes grinding noises, the shim from Dorman fixes it, makes it start smooth as silk.

Last edited:
Ordered the starter for the car as well as a new controller for the AF guage last night. The starter is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, but I'll most likely be busy elsewhere. We're running about an hour and a half north of Atlanta to go look at this for my girlfriend's son.

_nc_ohc=2JE0l-vNlGgAX_9SOhk&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.jpg

I've started a thread in the SN95 section for this project:

Supposed to go look at it and most likely bring it home tomorrow. It'll be his first car and from what I can gather from my girlfriend and his best friend is that he's kinda into cars, but he's a little apprehensive about talking with that kind of stuff with me. So I'm hoping that I can get him to open up and maybe even start working on things with me. We're planning on going to 2 car shows on the next 2 Sundays and I'm hoping he'll go to the second one with us. He has some kind of band event or something this weekend.

The bigger story with him (and his sisters to a somewhat lesser/different degree...) is that he's never really had a proper father figure in his life and according to my girlfriend it's something he's always been looking for. His father basically left without maintaining contact after his 3rd or 4th birthday. Then she started dating this guy that lasted about 5 or 6 years. She said that he asked him (after he had proposed to her) if he could start calling him "dad" - that guy's response was "no." Can't say I blame him for being somewhat apprehensive and not real sure how to react when I ask him to do things or whatever, but I'm hoping that this can be a way to open him up a little. If he's not into it at all, then my girlfriend can replace her Sequoia with this for the fuel costs, or it can be his sister's first car, or I'll drive it to save on my Ram and the cost of fuel. In any event, I'm sure we'll get some good use out of it.

Ordered the starter for the car as well as a new controller for the AF guage last night. The starter is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, but I'll most likely be busy elsewhere. We're running about an hour and a half north of Atlanta to go look at this for my girlfriend's son.

_nc_ohc=2JE0l-vNlGgAX_9SOhk&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.jpg

I've started a thread in the SN95 section for this project:

Supposed to go look at it and most likely bring it home tomorrow. It'll be his first car and from what I can gather from my girlfriend and his best friend is that he's kinda into cars, but he's a little apprehensive about talking with that kind of stuff with me. So I'm hoping that I can get him to open up and maybe even start working on things with me. We're planning on going to 2 car shows on the next 2 Sundays and I'm hoping he'll go to the second one with us. He has some kind of band event or something this weekend.

The bigger story with him (and his sisters to a somewhat lesser/different degree...) is that he's never really had a proper father figure in his life and according to my girlfriend it's something he's always been looking for. His father basically left without maintaining contact after his 3rd or 4th birthday. Then she started dating this guy that lasted about 5 or 6 years. She said that he asked him (after he had proposed to her) if he could start calling him "dad" - that guy's response was "no." Can't say I blame him for being somewhat apprehensive and not real sure how to react when I ask him to do things or whatever, but I'm hoping that this can be a way to open him up a little. If he's not into it at all, then my girlfriend can replace her Sequoia with this for the fuel costs, or it can be his sister's first car, or I'll drive it to save on my Ram and the cost of fuel. In any event, I'm sure we'll get some good use out of it.
There you go, get a young kid involved in Mustangs, then he'll be too broke to buy drugs!

• Haha
He's a good kid. Spends most of his time in front of his computer. But he does have a couple buddies that he goes to the gym with - kid is bigger and stronger than I am now. :shrug: But he stays out of trouble, that's the main thing.

• Winner
Soooooo...... I FINALLY got it back on the road last night. Had my girlfriend with me and she took a couple videos with her new phone. I'll have to see if I can get them transferred from her FB page for your viewing pleasure. ;)

Before all of that, though, we went to the Caffeine and Octane show at the Town Center mall in Kennesaw where I ran into MORE inspiration to finally get it back on the road....

IMG_20230305_103610.jpg
IMG_20230305_103636.jpg

I was geeking out too much to take a good picture. In fact, I didn't even take these, my girlfriend did - that's yours truly looking in the passenger side T top. ;) I spoke with the owner for a little while and asked him if he comes to this show often as I didn't see it last month, he said he does. He also said what we all say, that he's almost always the only one at any show. So I asked him if he wanted to meet up for the next one and I'd bring mine. We exchanged numbers and I'll try to get a hold of him next month to see about getting *2* IIs at the next one! Side note - the green F series next to him is his son's.

Anyway, later on, after confirming that I indeed had the wiring bug worked out, we jumped in the Cobra and went back to her house to see if her son would be interested in it. He went for a ride with me and took some pics and/or video while I drove. I asked him on a couple occasions if he wanted me to get on it and he didn't, he said he didn't feel safe. In his defense, I don't think he's ever ridden in anything older than 2000, but I assured him we wouldn't do anything that would harm anything - i.e. I wasn't going to do anything in traffic or anywhere populated, and I told him that you just have to be aware of your surroundings and that I definitely wouldn't do anything where I didn't think I could maintain control. So I didn't do anything with him in the car except hit the brakes kinda hard for a red light that was hard to see because of the setting sun. When I got him back home and my girlfriend was getting back in he told her to not let me do anything unsafe.... :shrug:

I'll see about getting at least one video up. One was when we were on our way back to my house after taking him out and she wanted me to find a more hospitable section of road with little to no traffic. ;)

• Winner
Can't seem to get the videos from her FB page, but here are a couple of the "before" pics she took while I was working on it.

_nc_ohc=p4M_R5UKGiUAX8n35DU&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.jpg

_nc_ohc=vzGJKeLkhSMAX-E9qD1&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.jpg

And another after a wash.

_nc_ohc=S0r_oRqcVV0AX-oztF_&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-2.jpg

A tiny bit of progress last night - I reinstalled the chin spoiler. The mounting holes on one side are pretty crappy now. I should probably pull it back off and reinforce them, but it's solid as it is now....

IMG_20230307_172532.jpg